Thread: No Themes or Screen saver tabs

Silver Member
    Thanks BB for the reply. I could just ask permission to have them come back and set it up, but I don't want to be "special" I was hoping there was a little tweak I could do in the registry. ???

Silver Member

No Themes or Screen saver tabs

The IT department where I work just upgraded our computers from Windows 2000 to XP Pro.
    If I go into Control Panel, and then display, I only see three tabs. Desktop, Appearance, and Settings. There is no screen saver tab. Also when I look at the Desktop tab that is there, i can't change anything. There are a few other desktop designs, but they are greyed out, and I can't select anything. That is not that big a deal, but I would like to be able to add my own screensaver. I took one in from home that I had and tried to install it but it did not work. I could get it to work if I clicked on the program itself, but that is the only way. I still do not see anything about screen savers in the Display area in Control Panel. I then took my copy of XP Pro to work and thought maybe I could get additional features to install on the computer from the disc, no luck. My ultimate goal would be to use the pictues I have in MY Pictures as a screen saver, like I did when I had Windows 2000, but would settle to at least be able to install a regular screen saver from a floppy or CD. Any suggestions ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sounds like your IT admin has locked the PC down probably using the administrator account. When they setup your user account they removed those options.

One way to solve this would be to use your XP CD and install XP again (make sure to back up settings like network, and so on)... but I wouldn't recommend it.

Talk to your IT guy and ask him/her why they removed the screensaver feature. And ask if they can add it back.. It's just a case of getting back into the admin account an enabling it for your user account.