Thread: Task manager failure

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    The best wolf is the one who wears sheep's clothing the longest.
    Also the one with the lowest dry cleaning bill.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Task manager failure

Hey, I found another thread by Greg addressing this problem and I'd like to add my own twist. Task manager does not open though ctrl+alt+del, etc. There were many helpful suggestions in the last thread, most I'm sure would work fine except for a few things. Currently I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2. At first, task manager worked fine, but after various Windows Automatic Updates I noticed it no longer responded. After much frustation I concluded that the udates were to blame so I decided to uninstall them. I started with SP2 (probably a bad idea but w/e). After the uninstall task manager was back in its full glory but I noticed a lot of my programs wouldn't run and my vid drivers needed SP2 to function. So I re-installed SP2 and basically got back where I had started. That is twist one. Twist two is after I had browsed the Windows help files I learned various ways to fix my problem (all mentioned in the previous thread) including the location of the executable. After checking it out, however, I found that there is no system32 folder. What the hell?

This is not the first time this has happened. All the other times the system32 folder was gone and I decided to fix the problem by formating and re-installing Windows. I would really like to not go through that again. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    learned various ways to fix my problem (all mentioned in the previous thread) including the location of the executable. After checking it out, however, I found that there is no system32 folder. What the hell?
    windows/system32 folder is there, it must be hidden . Without system32 your OS wouldn't even work.

Open any folder and go to Tools> Folder Option> View> and check the box "Show hidden files and folders" and maybe uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files". It has to show its face sometime

If you right click on your task bar will task man open if you choose it ?
    Last edited by FastGame; November 4th, 2006 at 01:31 AM.