Thread: What IS going on re IE and FlashPlayer?????

What IS going on re IE and FlashPlayer?????

OK, I have Firefox as my default browser. Flashplayer 9 is somehow integrated with FF and I've no trouble viewing a flashplayer file I run across using FF. (I have IE 6 installed also.)

But with IE it's a different story. I clicked on a link from the IE MSN page "Video: What's Chelsea Clinton doing these days?" and up comes a window: "To use this product..." It says I must have Flashplayer 6, WMP 10 and
    IE 6. Well, I have WMP 10 and IE 6 but as far as IE is concerned I didn't have Flashplayer. However from this page one can go to the Adobe Flashplayer Download site and download the latest FlashPlayer. Well, I tried...and tried...and tried but it would not download. So I entered "Flashplayer" in Google and got to the site directly. There I was able to download and install FlashPlayer 9 (latest.). I know the install was successful because it showed up in Add/Remove.

"Fine," thinks I! I'll go back and click on my IE shortcut. I do that--I click the Chelsea Clinton link and I again get the "To use this product" page--I'm back at Square 1. I also note that I get the same response if I click on any other video listed on the IE/MN page.

In my IE browser I went Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab > Internet> Default Level button. I select Medium Security and beyond that every item under the "Custom Level" button is bulleted either 'prompt' or 'enable'. When I get the prompt pop-ups, I tell them "yes"

But I just don't get to view the Chelsea Clinton video - or any video.

WHAT'S GOING ON?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi wumply, do you have a link because I can only find "Chelsea Clinton goes to Wall Street"on MSN, and its in WMP not flash.

I want to check it out.

No, the link is gone--that is frequently the case with MSN--links are often there only for 1-5 hours, probably varying with how important other links are deemed. (I went to MSN again around 3:30 PM today, which was when I discovered the link was gone.)

But remember I noted that I got the same "To use this product" screen when I clicked on other videos at MSN?--there are always 4-5 videos around under Video Highlights (if one is removed, it is immediately replaced.) The Chelsea Clinton video was in a different section, btw; I think it was under the link titled "Money". Perhaps you could click one of those Video Highlight videos. Though I would not have expected all videos to require FlashPlayer.

That that is the link is hghly likely...thanks. I read the article, saw the pic of Chelsea Clinton but when I clicked on the video link, well the pop-up apeared with the video but was unresponsive to the command to play.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So it didn't play but it popped up?

If so, try this direct link:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=b3...a3&f=05&fg=rss

That should play in firefox and IE.

I clicked your link and it worked fine. But by the time I got your above response, I had tried to do a Repair Install of XP--because I suspected some files were corrupt as I could not install my Videochat program. Great--except that after a good start XP announced that it was shutting down to prevent damage to my computer--and was unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard input.

So I installed my spare HDD on which MSIE was working fine. Unfortunately that didn't result in my being able to install my VideoChat program.