Thread: Unable to read AOL email in OE

Post Unable to read AOL email in OE

I am using Win98 and OE version 5.0; I am unable to read mail from anyone sending from AOL. Is there some sort of setting I'm missing? Thanks

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I found this, don't know if it addresses your problem:

4. I'm using AOL... Why won't the images show up in the messages? (i.e. they only appear in an attachment).

AOL versions prior to v6.0 are NOT HTML based. The main AOL mail server strips outgoing and incoming files of any inline images. These images file (attached audio files too) are sometimes compressed into a .ZIP file that is then attached to the message. The recipient must first unzip the file and then view the images with either their browser or a graphic viewer.

http://www.dailytoast.com/product/faq/receiving.htm

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try Conan's suggestion and also check with your ISP's mail server,they may have a filtering system in place to prevent AOL mail being delivered.
    Do any of the people sending you the AOL mail receive mail delivery failure errors?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

The ISP isn't blocking AOL messages. I know several users who are using my ISP and do not have that problem. The messages are coming in the form of an attachment, but they are not zipped.

Well, for AOL help I would suggest visiting the AOL PostMaster:
    http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

Or go to the AOL Chat Room, Special Interests, Mac or PC

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I finally decided to download IE 6, and that apparently solved the problem. Evidently IE 5 would not recognize AOL emails. I don't understand it, but it worked. If anyone else has this problem and you don't want to install IE 6, maybe you can just try re-installing IE 5.