Thread: Replacing a corrupt system file from the XP CD

Replacing a corrupt system file from the XP CD

Minutes ago I attempted to copy my HDD to another HDD. And I got this message: "Could not copy the file NxFsMon." It IS an XP system driver.

Now, I don't know for a fact that this file is corrupt. But let's assume that it is. In which case deleting it and replacing it would, one would think, be a logical approach to the problem. (I fear such an assumption does not always apply in dealing with computers.). Assuming, of course, the file is on the CD. But it's in System32, so would that not be a fair assumption?

If the file is corrupt, then there's an XP Repair install or a clean install option. But tell me, could not a copy of the file be taken from the XP CD and used to replace the same file on the HDD. It would seem a quick and much easier solutionthan a repair or clean install...BUT is it doable?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Im not to sure about what this file is but have you tried restarting the system?Sometimes if a file is in use by the system it wont allow it to be copied,moved or deleted so could be worth a shot.

No, I haven't but I will. Would you, in my shoes, want to shut down all systray programs before I start copying? Of course a lot of processes, I assume, would continue to run but hey, not everything can be done.

I would do some searching and see what the system driver goes to.If it's some sort of external device which can be safely disabled then i would disable it if and it is a part of windows i would look into doing a repair on XP and go from there.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; November 12th, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

bhx...I didn't search the net-had come up empty handed when I did that before, but I did hover the mouse over the driver file that was not copied. And it resulted in the name of the little program I'd downloaded that the file belonged to. It was Cyberhawk and it is a small automatic virus/spyware (free) detecting program using behavioral analysis instead of virus signatuares. I use it supplementally.

Well, what to do was obvious--close Cyberhawk and try copying again. No problem.

Your suggestion got me on the right track--that I should have been on anyway. Thanks!!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    It was Cyberhawk and it is a small automatic virus/spyware (free) detecting program using behavioral analysis instead of virus signatuares. I use it supplementally.
    hmm, another victim of the security craze, as Curio would say *The cure is worst than the cause.

wumply, did you have Cyberhawk installed when you tried this http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21261 ?

Cyberhawk is very good and powerful, you need to understand what it does and get the settings right, otherwise it'll cause all kinds of problems.

Yes, I did. I just now tried to install Videochat with Cyberhawk "suspended". I still could not install Videochat; got the same error message.

Let me ask you: my son in Germany, where Videochat would not install on either of his 2 computers, feels that the exe file of Videochat is the culprit. "It's too much," he argues, to believe that my 2 computers and a third, yours, would all have a virus/spyware problem." The idea of a virus or spyware cause came from the originators of the program by the way.

What would your take on this be?