Thread: Outlook Express freezes

Silver Member

Outlook Express freezes

When I go into Outlook Express, I usually delete a lot of junk mail before I even read it. These items then go into the Delete Folder. I then click on the Deleted Folder, to Empty it, but when I do that I get the hour glass and nothing more. It kind of freezes there. Doing that Con-Alt Del allows me to then unfreeze the computer by ending that task, but I still can not open the Deleted folder to empty it. I have to then manually shut down the computer. Sometimes after the reboot, I can then empty the items in the Deleted Folder, but sometimes I need to reboot a few times. This just started two days ago. I have not changed or added any pragrams lately. I am running Windows XP Pro including SP2. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mike

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Configure Outlook Express to empty the Deleted Items folder on exit.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Right click the "Deleted Items" folder and select Empty 'deleted items' folder.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Configure Outlook Express to empty the Deleted Items folder on exit.
    In mine it has already been done. The *@#!!! thing still periodically freezes. I figured out that if I'm patient and use ctl, alt, delete slowly and wait, it will eventually respond and close outlook express. However, it sequesters the start files for the modem and I must restart the computer to get them back.

I have already installed the latest service packs for xp. I have searched for viruses. I have checked and checked options and settings and also defragged files. I have installed the latest spybot search and destroy. If it is a virus it is very sneaky. It has been suggested to me that I might need to reinstall the operating system.

Please advise.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If you've tried everything, a reformat and reinstall of the OS would be the next course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    If you've tried everything, a reformat and reinstall of the OS would be the next course of action.
    Thanks, I'll try to let you know how it goes.

Instead of reformating which is a last ditch effort. Try going in to add/remove programs chose windows components and remove outlook express and then rebbot then reinstall it from same location in add/remove programs. **Make sure that you export all your information from your outllok express before removing!!**