Hi there, I hope someone out there may be able to help:

I run a dual boot windows XP system so that I can keep all my audio software away from office stuff and possible virus threats.. Just recently i decided to upgrade one of the drives to a bigger drive and windows XP SP2 was clean installed on it... All seemed to be working fine, the boot.ini files were OK as I get asked which OS to boot into at start-up, even if one of the drives is unplugged.

But then I noticed that when working on my original C:/ some of my software is not working properly because windows has changed the drive letter to F:/.

I know this is fairly common outcome and I have read about this. So in Microsoft help pages i decided (probably at my error) to rename the drive in the registry, I followed the instructions exactly and I think it did it, but now the original C:/ will not boot into windows... I have spent all day trying to work this one out... The Boot.ini still seems OK coz i get asked which OS to boot to... I choose the Audio side and it tries to load, but stops on the Microsoft icon, just before the desktop would normally appear. Obviously i can't change the drive letter back coz I can't boot up. I need my C: drive back!!

I have tried to boot from XP disc, and repair, I have tried fixmbr and fixboot but no luck... It seems maybe windows is looking elsewhere for something during set-up but i don't know what to do now... When i do a scan it sees the windows on the disc and all seems fine... also i can access the files when i boot into the other drive so i know all the files are there and working fine..

Unfotunately that's where my knowledge base runs out when it come to set-ups... so maybe someone could suggest what i may have done wrong here...?? The ideal fix would be that I can get my c: running again and rename the other drive if necessary, but until then I can't seem to boot, let alone run the software

I'd really appreciate the help... thanks