Thread: Startup disc ??

Silver Member

Startup disc ??

I may need to format and reinstall Windows 98SE on a friends old Compaq P2.
    if I were able to make a startup disc before the format-what good does it really do ? It doesn't copy all the drivers to the floppy does it ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    I may need to format and reinstall Windows 98SE on a friends old Compaq P2.
    if I were able to make a startup disc before the format-what good does it really do ? It doesn't copy all the drivers to the floppy does it ?
    Windows 98SE does copy the drivers... AFAIK... Windows 98 doesn't. You can however download a boot disk that will contain the drivers:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

That will load the CDROM drivers and so on as well as boot to a DOS prompt so that you can perform the needed functions. However, I say if you have a windows 98SE CD, you don't need the boot disk.. you can actually boot from the CDROM instead and load the drivers, as long as the BIOS supports booting from the CDROM.

With a P2 you might want to make sure... and actually test booting to the CD before formatting the drive.

Also, if it is a Compaq, then I wonder if the machine has restore CDs or something like that?? If so, a restore CD should be bootable and be able to restore the computer back to factory specs.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member
    Thanks for the reply BB. I do have a 98SE disc for the Compaq, and there would be no problem reloading the operation system. When I say 'Drivers" I mean the ones for the audio / video / modem / ethernet card etc.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    Thanks for the reply BB. I do have a 98SE disc for the Compaq, and there would be no problem reloading the operation system. When I say 'Drivers" I mean the ones for the audio / video / modem / ethernet card etc.
    I see. By drivers I was assuming those that the boot disk/startup disk. I now have a fuller understanding.

http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Utilit...tion-2005.html

Something like that *should* take care of the driver issue. Further, if you feel froggy, you can locate the drivers yourself by searching your computer in the device manager, making a list, going to the manufacturers website and downloading the latest available.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Compaq/HP have a site you can search for this very thing. Of particular importance will be audio, modem, and display.

If you have added an ethernet card (I am assuming so due to the age of the P2), then you'll need to visit that NIC manufacturer for their latest driver that supports your intended OS.