Thread: Windows 98SE shutdown problems

Silver Member

Windows 98SE shutdown problems

I am getting a friends computer to format and reinstall 98SE. He also tells me that he is having intermittant shutdown problems. It is almost impossible to read and understand all the Microsoft articals concerning shutdown problems. They tell you to try this partical thing, and if it doesn't fix the problem, then try item #2 etc. How do you know you found the cause, if it is an intermittant problem ? Anyway, I have two questions- Can I just download and install that "Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement" without doing all the Microsoft tests ? I was also planning to download that "Windows 98SE unofficial SP2" that Big Booger has listed here on Techzonez ? Would that SP2download possibly help with the shutdown problem ? Many thanks again, Mike

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    I am getting a friends computer to format and reinstall 98SE. He also tells me that he is having intermittant shutdown problems. It is almost impossible to read and understand all the Microsoft articals concerning shutdown problems. They tell you to try this partical thing, and if it doesn't fix the problem, then try item #2 etc. How do you know you found the cause, if it is an intermittant problem ? Anyway, I have two questions- Can I just download and install that "Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement" without doing all the Microsoft tests ? I was also planning to download that "Windows 98SE unofficial SP2" that Big Booger has listed here on Techzonez ? Would that SP2download possibly help with the shutdown problem ? Many thanks again, Mike
    Mike,
    In my opinion, most shutdown problems are due to a fault in the hardware (nine times out of ten it's either video, RAM or power supply issues)....

That said, the reason they tell you to try this and this and this and then this, and after that this etc... is because it's difficult to pinpoint.

You have to start at step one, rule it out and then move on until you hit the actual cause. If there were an error you might have an easier time distinguishing the problem... but random reboots are hard to figure out.

First place I would start would be
    to visually inspect all connects, fans, jumpers, etc... make sure that the case has good airflow, that the CPU, Power Supply and/or video card fans are working properly and free of any obstructions.

I'd reseat the memory just to make sure that a stick hasn't wiggled loose enough to give your machine a reboot syndrome.

Second place I'd go with memory tester:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

After you've checked and confirmed that the memory is either good or bad, (if bad you've discovered the problem)... if good, I'd move on to swapping the power supply.

If changing the power supply doesn't do it, I'd then test the video card (if it's external)... Try exchanging it with a known working unit, or trying it out with another computer.

I'd then look at updating the OS (try that SP2 for windows 98 that I posted)... that could fix it.

Another thing that might help is a BIOS update. But I'd be wary of this due to the fact that you can literally brick the computer making it not function... and becoming a huge paperweight.

It could be a serious problem like a motherboard malfunction. In that case it might be necessary to change the motherboard completely... AFAIK there's no real way to determine if the motherboard is the culprit without trying to exhaust all the other possible problems....

Silver Member
    Thanks BB for the reply. I printed out your reply, and will follow your suggestions when I get the computer. He doesn't mention anything about rebooting, just that it somtimes hangs forever on "Your computer is shutting down" and never really shuts down or reboots. If he flips the surge supressor off and then on, Windows then runs through all the scans as when the computer is not shut down properly.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If it is hanging on shutdown, it could be a driver or background application that is holding up the OS.

In that case, I would check what software is installed on the computer. I would look at any antivirus, firewall, or other application that might be causing windows to not shutdown properly.

Microsoft have a list of some of the most common causes:

Common Causes of Shutdown Problems
    Shutdown problems in Windows 98 Second Edition can be caused by any of the following issues:
    • The Fast Shutdown registry key is enabled.
    • There is a damaged Exit Windows sound file.
    • A program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close correctly.
    • An incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver is loaded.
    • There is an incompatible Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) setting.
    • There is an incompatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) configuration setting.
    • The computer contains incorrectly configured or damaged hardware.
    • There is a video adapter that is not assigned an IRQ in real mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096

you just have to go through one by one and work it out until you find the culprit.

A simple thing is to unplug any USB devices connected to the computer. USB can in some cases cause a shutdown problem or hang. I have seen this personally with a USB printer.