Thread: How to convert store bought cd to MP3 or WMA file

Unhappy How to convert store bought cd to MP3 or WMA file

I did a forum search and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for. I have never been too interested in these MP3 things, but I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. I need to place her Korn cd's on it so that when she opens it on Christmas day she won't go messing with my old out dated computer. (yes I know, next year guys soon as Jan comes around I should hopefully be purchasing a new one, so I can get Vista ready.....(not happy about that either)

Question how do I convert store bought cd media to MP3 or WMA file without breaking any laws and hopefully without having to purchase anymore software. Sorry for being incredibly uninformed about this type of thing. Thanks in advance. Oh I need step by step instructions for idiots, thanks....
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Well kind of depends on if the cd has copy protection on it, but if it doesn't Nero or any other CD/DVD burning suite should do the trick.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Itunes will do this without any problems providing as thraxed pointed out that the CD has no copy protection scheme.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/I...onvertMP3.html

That link lays out how to do this complete with screenshots and step-by-step instructions.

Itunes 7 Download Link:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Like they have pointed out, there are many ways of doing what you want. First question tho is...What media player do you use? The easiest one I have ever used is Musicmatch Jukebox. But, I only use it for converting audio files. Quintessential Player is pretty easy also.

thank you guys for all your help. I have had to learn the difference between mp3 and mpeg4. Apparently the player that I have will not read mpeg4 but will read mpeg1, mp3, and WMA files only. So I tunes or at least the one I downloaded converted the files, but the player wouldn't play them. I decided to try it with the windows media player and it is converting them now. All this takes lots of time since I have this ancient computer (you know we have discussed this before...lol). Hopefully the player will accept these files. I will keep you posted. Incidentally it turns out the disc wasn't protected, thank God. I didn't even want to think about dealing with that. The neat thing was I discovered I have an extra usb port that I did not know about, that made things much easier. I originally thought I only had one and was having to use my keyboard to go everywhere and do everything while the player was connected to the computer. Don't laugh guys it isn't even funny.........yes I know the dye has seeped into my brain.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie