Thread: Task Bar frozen...help the noob please!

Question Task Bar frozen...help the noob please!

I woke up this morning my usual trip to computer screen looked normal. a finished virus scan (norton) and spy sweep screen both showing. My Incredamail window still closed in the task bar.
    The difference this morning is that nothing was active! I could not click and close the open windows described nor was anything active in the task bar including the start menu. I am baffled......
    The only thing abnormal the last few days is a couple times I would be in a program or on the internet and things would freeze and just ding a bell everytime I tried to click anything on my whole computer! Then last night I for some reason has to download a flash player for my msn....weird because it was there before and then this time its not and I have to download? ...anyway after that download (I am not on messenger anymore) norton says a remote access is trying to access my computer do you want to allow......
    Ok back to the problem at hand......my task bar is locked programs wont end....task manager says they are running...weird though I can click on icons on my screen and they are active thus my access to internet and writing to you.....I'm sorry I know this was long.....I just wanted to be thorough
    I need on my task bar badly!!! Hope someone can help...thanks

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Try unplugging the pc. Also, check http://www.aumha.org for possible solutions. If it still acts hinky, you may have to format: c and reinstall everything as a last-ditch effort.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

I would also disable Nortons and download AVG antivirus. Install it and run it. Something sounds weird and though there are a few here who still believe in Norton's protection, I believe only that Norton's completely hoses up one's machine. Try Spyware Doctor as well and check for crapware on your machine.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    sharons right on with norton besides being a resource hog it wrecks havoc on the os. I would try the above re: spyware and viruses...also might wanna try inserting your xp cd and from the run box type SFC /SCANNOW. if that doesnt help might wanna try downloading and reinstalling sp2. or even a system restore might get you back up and running.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    there is an easy prank one can play by taking a snapshot of your desktop and hiding the taskbar thus your taskbar is a picture and won't do anything. you should be able to unhide and it may not be the problem but something to look at as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead View Post
    there is an easy prank one can play by taking a snapshot of your desktop and hiding the taskbar thus your taskbar is a picture and won't do anything. you should be able to unhide and it may not be the problem but something to look at as well.
    good one egg

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Kelly's Korner often comes to the rescue with Task Bar issues like this. Download this "fixit" tool, select your problem from the drop-down menus and try the repair .....

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Hope it helps. Do post back to let us know how you get on.

MM

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    Kelly's Korner often comes to the rescue with Task Bar issues like this. Download this "fixit" tool, select your problem from the drop-down menus and try the repair .....

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Hope it helps. Do post back to let us know how you get on.

MM