Thread: BMW Night Vision

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

BMW Night Vision

A new night vision system has been released inside select models of BMW vehicles. The image is displayed on a screen inside the cabin, in the center console above the air condition ventilation. The images are crisp and bright and really show more detail than normal vision ever good.

With a range of nearly 300 meters (1000 feet) it really just might be the next best thing in automobile safety.

My question is will driving with this system make it safer, considering that your eyes are now focused on this screen rather than on operating the vehicle... I don't know how safe this might actually turn out to be.

I think a windshield transparent overlay might be even safer than a screen version. But that might be a few years coming.

The rest (10 pages of images of the new BMW Night Vision System):
    http://www.popular-pics.com/pictures.aspx?photoid=437

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    but with headlights using better technology and being brighter/whiter etc, with longer range.. how useful could the NV be?

Unless u were a crook and wanted to evade police by driving with no lights

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    but with headlights using better technology and being brighter/whiter etc, with longer range.. how useful could the NV be?

Unless u were a crook and wanted to evade police by driving with no lights
    The problems with headlights being brighter is that it annoys other drivers. I hate seeing a newer Xeon light driving by. Even on low beam, the Xeon is extremely bright. Compare that to an older model car and it's quite noticeable.

With this system you don't bother anyone, and can see quite clearly, even without the need for brighter headlights.

Imagine cars not having lights or only emergency headlamps and instead using a windshield overlay of this system to display the surroundings.

Couple NV with some kind of computer avoidance system and you could really have a super tech car. Until you blue screen and then you die.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yeah i agree, i like the idea of the windscreen overlay, like a HUD from Jet Fighter... all we need is big RED boxes which identify the police

But definitely crash avoidance radar, and NV... very 'Terminator' like

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

A hud would be sweet. And a red box cop locator would be very welcome.

I wonder what kind of weaponry you can get with that? DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Latest S Class Merc has the HUD technology. Saw a programme on it recently. Looks and works well. The presenter said he was impressed, especially as the range was far in excess of the headlamps (which were Xenon). Good (but expensive) safety option.