Thread: Strange wireless problem

Strange wireless problem

Happy new year to all,

I have a problem with a wireless laptop and i cant seem to put my finger on it were as other laptops in the network are fine. I join it wirelessly to to the network but it cant seem to pick up an ip address from the dhcp so i manually configure it and it gets full connectivity to the network but it simpley will not go online.

What is it i am overlooking?? i am sure it is something simple but some neutral views are always appreciated.

Its an XP home laptop

cheers

sambo

This may be to simple but did you check the firewall on the laptop? After you manually configured it does it see the other computers on the LAN?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    What encryption are you using?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    That happened to me while setting up my daughter's laptop.I had the wrong drivers installed.I had to physically identify the network wifi card by popping the cover off.That particular Realtek model was on the Realtek site and not on the driver download site of Gateway.Also make sure you have the wireless adapter turned on in bios,as well as switched on either by button or Fn plus F(key) on the keyboard.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Using just simple WEP encryption, but i have not checked the drivers yet as this actual laptop is a one day a week bod so i only get to check it when she comes in and i usually just put her on the wire when i have more urgent tasks to hand.

i have checked the firewall and cant see anything that should cause a prolem there.