Thread: Windows Pop Up?????

Windows Pop Up?????

Hey guys!

Now that we finally got all our computers to talking to eachother here....

If hubby is in on the computer and I am out here on the laptop..isn't there a pop up mesenger type thing where I can send him a "steamy" message while he's working? I mean, within windows itsself and not using AIM or Yahoo type program.

Thanks,
    Sharon

I think you are referring to Windows Messenger Service , most of the information available is abourt disabling this, but this link at least explains something about it.

http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/alerts/id/156

Although this document says that it is enabled by default in XP I think that one of the updates from Microsoft was to disable Messanger Service by default , so if you have service packs installed it should be disabled

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yes there used to be a way to send messages using the inbuilt windows system commands to other computers on the network. e.g. send "Hi Darl" \\hubby

You would type that in your command line or run box.... however, there were several exploits years back that would spam that service with popups for SPAM emails ... i think XP SP1 or definitely SP2 disabled and blocked that service as default.

You may be able to re-enable it, and just block the service to external internet... but i'm sure there are other 3rd party applications which better suit you.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

yep, you are absolutely right.......not re-enabling that!

Was looking at LanTalk, however, if anyone else has any suggestions on 3rd party apps let me know.

I prefer "free", of course!