Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making the big move

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Xandros OS

Well, I installed Xandros over a Vista evaluation and only have one problem.The problem is that the install left remnants of windows vista,such as the boot menu and windows program files.How can I get windows off the boot menu?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Edit the bootloader, you should be able to do that in Xandros.

I don't understand what/how windows files got left behind ???

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Edit the bootloader, you should be able to do that in Xandros.

I don't understand what/how windows files got left behind ???
    I know I chose to write over windows and not to have them coexist.Even if I choose to boot to Vista it just hangs on the start progress screen.

Can't delete the entry via the control center FG,there is no editing of command lines like other linux's,or am I missing something?
    Last edited by zipp51; February 17th, 2007 at 23:00 PM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

When you start the installation process, there is a step that allows you to co-exist with Windows or other OS, and it allows you to pick the partition that it occupies. There is also a choice to delete existing OS and reformat the drive before installation.

Since you apparently wanted to reformat, I would reinstall. It only takes about 20 minutes and you should have a much more stable setup. If you want to try to correct bootloader first, do the following:
    - choose Launch>Control Center>System Administration>Boot Manager.
    - You will now click on the Administrator button and login as Administrator.
    - Now you can choose the Default OS.
    Last edited by efc; February 18th, 2007 at 04:26 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yep, i agree to just reformat that partition and do the linux installation again Windows is notorious for leaving remanents behind... I remember doing a reinstallation of XP and then the bootmenu appeared with 2 versions?! lol...

Boot & Nuke

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    yep, i agree to just reformat that partition and do the linux installation again Windows is notorious for leaving remanents behind... I remember doing a reinstallation of XP and then the bootmenu appeared with 2 versions?! lol...

Boot & Nuke
    I may use a disk wipe solution first,then fdisk and format from a win98 boot floppy.Right now I'm enjoying the out of the box and everything works including an easy setup security suite.This is a keeper for sure.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    That's good to hear Zipp, can u post any of your fav screen shots?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I haven't tried Xandros, but I like Suse Yast, easier configuration GUI I had used. I had installed about 10 or so Red Hat Enterprise (v4) and the setup is easy, but after setting it up the software instalation doesn't work (I had called Red Hat to complain about it, and they did not wanted to recognize it)
    I have to use Red Hat for work (boss wanted it)
    I have Suse in a Vmware on my laptop as well as Ubuntu. I like the package software for Ubuntu though )and the clean interface. And I love the size of dsl. There is a linux distro for each need.
    I will stay in XP for a while because .....I play lots of games. But at work I was using more and more Linux (syslog servers, monitoring server, and I was about to install a snort too)
    It is starting to gain ground on me. Today I finished studying for Linux +, and now I will start LPCI Junior Level.