Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the big move

Making the big move

I have been testing numerous linux versions over the past year. The goal was to find the version that I wanted to stick with for the long haul. The decision has been made. Tonight I ordered Xandros Home Edition Premium from Newegg. The final cost, including shipping was $59.63.

I would rather spend money on Linux than on Vista.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    What were the key selection criteria for you? What other linux distros did you short list?

Keep us updated on your discoveries

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yes I'd also like to know why Xandros was the one ?

An efc review would be nice

I had to feel comfortable with the Distro. After trying many other distros, I kept coming back to XandrOS because I didn't have to research everything that I wanted to do and I didn't have to learn how to do everything by command line.

I have been using the Open Circulation of XandrOS v. 3.0 (free download) for about 6 months. It is fully functional. It will accomplish most computer tasks. This version contains Cross Over which allows you to use many Windows programs. I haven't tried Cross Over because it is my goal to quit being dependent on Microsoft software to do anything.

The current version is 4.0.

Notice that security suite, anti-virus, and firewall are included in the premium edition. Also note the additional application cd. These applications can be installed on your desktop using XandrOS Networks. XandrOS Networks is a module that provides easy installation of many applications. No command line needed.

Link to XandrOS products. Purchase of the XandrOS Home Premium Edition is $79.00 at the official site. It is available for less from vendors. Be careful. XandrOS v. 4.0 requires an activation code. Some of the super cheap prices that can be found on the net probably don't include the activation code. Make sure that you buy a full retail package.

Other distrobutions that I have tried:
    Fedora
    Suse
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Gentoo
    Santa Fe
    Simply/Misep
    Linspire
    Freespire
    Mandriva
    and several live versions
    Last edited by efc; February 6th, 2007 at 20:54 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good luck with it Buddy and keep us informed of the progress.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm with EFC when I was trying out a few I liked xandros the best. had the feel of win2k if you want to compare it to a windows platform. it was very easy to use. and like EFC said you didnt have to prowl the web to figure out how to install a driver.

I like Xandros, its nice and easy.

The nice thing about Linux is all the choice between distro's, you're bound to find one that suits your needs & taste.

My tops are:

1. PClinuxOS
    2. LinuxMint
    3. SuSe
    4. Xandros

Good luck efc and happy trails
    Last edited by FastGame; February 6th, 2007 at 18:27 PM.

Received the new OS package yesterday. I made a clean install last night. There is a difference between the Open Circulation (OC) version that I have been using since early last summer and the Premium package that I just purchased. For instance, with the OC version, you had to find and install the w32codec for Xine to play wmv files. With the premium version, everything worked right out of the box.

In fact, everything worked so well that I have shifted to the linux computer as my primary machine. There is only one thing that I cannot shift over. That is the operation of the VoSKY call center, which controls my telephones within SKYPE. There is no linux driver package available for VoSKY.

My Konica-Minolta 1350W laser printer installed easier in Xandros Premium ver than it does in xp. Winthin xp you have to install drivers from the mfg cd. In Xandros Premium I simply chose my printer from a menu and then identified the port.

I am more than pleased with the investment.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Good job efc,and thanks for the troubleshooting.$56 is pretty cheap for all that stability and compatability.I am running PCLinux and like it so far.I can't get Firefox to play streaming real content.However,Opera plays it as well as Conquerer.After Vista's evaluation expires I may slap Xandros premium in it's place.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

That's great input guys, i think we'll slowly gain more experience and knowledge with the different distro's - especially to try and debunk the myth of bad driver support and bad UI etc...

Is it safe to assume that most hardware 1-2yrs old is well supported in linux?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    My Konica-Minolta 1350W laser printer installed easier in Xandros Premium ver than it does in xp. Winthin xp you have to install drivers from the mfg cd. In Xandros Premium I simply chose my printer from a menu and then identified the port.
    I think that Compliments for this go more to the printer vendor than the distro, simply because they took the time to make their drivers available, which is what more vendors need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Is it safe to assume that most hardware 1-2yrs old is well supported in linux?
    Cash, I am running both Suse 10 and Ubuntu 5 (sunthin ) on an Abit BH-6 MB, PIII 550 w\512 ram. Both support all the HW in the system.

I'm also running the same Suse 10 on my workstation and it supports the dual Xeon procs, SCSI RAID plus both IDE and SATA hard drives (yes I'm using all 3 in it!) and everything natively. Gotta love flexibility in an OS...

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I think that Compliments for this go more to the printer vendor than the distro, simply because they took the time to make their drivers available, which is what more vendors need to do.
    That is a good point but I have had to jump through hoops to make that printer work with other distros. Maybe it should be "hats off" to the printer mfg and to Xandros.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Vista Eval Over

Vista Evaluation over today and hello Xandros.Going to Newegg now to purchase.Sounded like a sweet deal efc.My main concerns are my Canon S750 printer which I really don't want to upgrade and my HP 4300c scanner.I use both alot with XP and PC Linux.I like the out of the box ease of playing wmv with Xandros premium.Can't wait to install.Happy Linux.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I like the out of the box ease of playing wmv with Xandros premium.Can't wait to install.Happy Linux.
    Doesn't PCLOS play wmv ?

Thanks Rik for the info... I've got a couple of comps lying around too, might give it a go.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---