Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy to Use / Install Linux

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    lol, thanks FG. Does PCLOS have a compatibility list? my card is DLINK DWL-G510 if that helps.

Cool that we dont have to worry about spyware stuff.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The good> there's no reports that Wifi card isn't working in PCLOS

The bad> DLINK uses different chipsets within the same model #....

Did the Live CD detect your Wifi ?

Here's a Linux Wifi list http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php?

Yeah no spyware stuff in Linux
    Last edited by FastGame; February 25th, 2007 at 15:18 PM.

Thanks for the wifi list, I need to find the exact chipset...

When i ran the liveCD the wifi card wasn't installed. But the time is nearing for a the HD installation of PCLOS

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Suse has a Live CD as well (Fedora too, Ubuntu too, etc)
    Usually multiple CDs or a DVD are the instalation distro (Live CD runs from the CD).
    I think that instalation are all easy now a days. Actually I think Installing Linux is a lot easier than Windows. My brother tried Debian thought and he had quite some trouble installing, but loved it once it was running.
    I have Installed Suse, Fedora and Red Hat. All are a breeze to install. If you want to get a feeling of the interface you can download vmware player and download some appliances
    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45
    That is the list of Operative System appliances, but there is a long list of appliances built to fit a solution. The Ubuntu and Fedora 5 that I used even come configure with online software instalation, so if you want to install an extra package you just have to select and it will download and install automatically.
    I used Fedora 5 to set up a hobbit server at work.

Thanks dehc for the VMWare tip... i will give that a go for other Distro's im looking at.

I like the LiveCD idea, as its a good way to test run the O/S without HD installing and making partitions etc etc.... Are there features not used in LiveCD tho? i.e. CD burning not allowed - thus forcing you to do a complete HD isntallation?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes a Live CD is somewhat limited. Best thing to do is spin one up and check it out!

Also don't forget about Klik as an alternative option for installing different apps.

thanks Rik I'll be definitely asking the Hard questions when it comes time to upgrading the apps... Hopefully some apps have built-in update utility.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

In the LiveCD you have to remember that the main limitation is space and memory, and that not all apps are installed in order to achieve this. Generally the liveCD was meant to be used as a recovery system, but it has evolved quite a lot thanks to the modular structure of linux. If you want to test the powerhouse of linux as in network tools you use knoppix (or some knoppix spin off), if you want to test Suse, you use the Suse LiveCD, for Fedora the FedoraLiveCD and etc.
    The vmare in the other hand, will also let you install more apps, so suppouse you want to test the dvd burner using Fedora 5 for example. Just go to the add/remove programs, make sure the packages are installed (if not install them) and you have it ready to go.
    My Fedora 5 vmware was originally 3GB (1.5GB in a rar file) but I installed enought things to make it 5GB. That is a huge advantage over the LiveCD.
    To truly enjoy vmware though you need a good amount of RAM and enought hard drive. The LiveCD since it does not need a host can run almost on any PC, including an old door stopper Pentium II

Another thing that I would add, is that every live CD that I have tried have been extreemely slow to load. That might give a false impression as to how long is takes a fully installed Linux OS to start. My Xandros takes only a few seconds longer than xp.
    Last edited by efc; March 12th, 2007 at 15:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Good points Dehc and Efc. But with the VMware... i thought the guest O/S used vmware drivers that emulated the hardware... i.e. it only saw the cd-drive not that it was a burner? How do you configure it properly? can the same technique be used to enable hardware access to the video card??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I don't know the answer to the vmware questions since I never had any problem with it, or any reason to modify it, but if I had to guess I would say that you could try using vmware server (also free) which will give you more control on the configuration

thanks Dehc, I'll have to check it out soon

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---