Thread: A link in an email will not work

A link in an email will not work

Not sure which forum this should go in.

Let me expand this subject. I need help in solving a friend’s problem. He is using XP and the IE browser. Now, as he is connected to the internet through Verizon DSL, when he goes Start > Programs > IE, he gets the DSL Verizon "home page" with the IE address bar at the top. To access Verizon DSL's email program, he now clicks on an "All email" or a similarly-named button and away he goes. Now the link that does not work in the email is in black print only--no blue color, no underlining and clicking on it does nothing. But it should be blue and underlined.

But he also has Outlook Express on his computer and if he calls up the same email in OE, the link works beautifully. There it is underlined and in blue.

I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon about this to no avail. They changed all IE (Tools > options) to default; that did not help. They had me select a new Verizon PW and change my friend’s modem to accommodate that new PW. That did not help either.

I sent the email in question to my own computer (running XP, Firefox and using Eudora for email) and there the link (underlined and in blue) worked to perfection.

Other than this problem, my friend’s computer is working normally.

The technician at Verizon suggested there was something amiss with IE.

What do you suggest I try? Reinstalling or updating IE...or ???
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Note: I failed to mention that the version of IE is 7.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Possibly something within the Security SW on his system or within the Verizon webmail site. Maybe Anti-phishing or some such...