Thread: Dragging icons to desktop in XP/IE 7

Dragging icons to desktop in XP/IE 7

I would have sworn I used to do this with earlier versions of IE than 7 but I discovered tonight that my friend cannot do this on his computer (which has XP and IE 7.) I think I used to be able to click on an address in the address bar of IE 4 or 5 or 6 and drag it to the desktop and drop it. Or I believe I dragged the My Computer icon from the Start Menu to the desktop. But on my friend's computer, I can drag but when I release the mouse button, the address or icon simply disappears.

Is my memory at fault or do you suspect something is amiss with my friend's computer? He's using Verizon DSL and Verizon has integrated its 'home page' with IE. Could that combination be affecting dragging icons to his desktop?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I just tried dragging a URL from the IE 7 addy bar to the desktop and it worked fine. The icon was on the desktop and opened in my default browser when I d-click on it.

Yeah Rik, that's exactly what happens on my computer (XP and IE 7 and Firefox as my default browser.) I will probably try a reinstall of IE 7 on my friend's computer at this point. And I suppose if that doesn't help, I'll try reinstalling XP...if he has his original CD--which he probably doesn't because he bought a display model in 2005 with XP already installed.

wumply

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I wouldn't go as far as reinstalling XP. I really doubt it is something that drastic.

Bronze Member

try a different user account ...