Thread: Dual boot menu at bootup

Dual boot menu at bootup

I have Win ME running and installed a clean XP install. Unfortunately, the first installation failed, and I reinstalled from ME again. I ended up with 3 choices on bootup: Win ME/XP/XP. One of the two XP represents the failed installation. Not a big deal, but how do I edit the menu not to show the failed XP so that I have only 2 choices (ME/XP) and not 3 as it is now? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum XPNewbie
    This is how it can be fixed using Windows XP you will first need to navigate to "startup and recovery" options. This can be done by
    1. go to Control Panel
    2. open System and select the Advanced tab
    3. choose startup and recovery & settings
    4. Under system startup (you will also see your current default o/s - click on edit
    5. This will then bring up your boot.ini, which will display your current o/s in boot order.
    6. You will need to delete the ghost entry ( you should check this prior to booting into windows by hitting the F8 key after first turning on your computer - this will get you to the o/s select option of your boot loader, as well as options on safe mode etc..)
    check which entry of xp is fake by selecting the working boot entry
    7. Once you have deleted the entry you will then need to resave your boot.ini
    8. you can also select which o/s is set as your default and how long this option is displayed at system startup, and change it to the desired o/s from system startup

goodluck
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

zErO, thanks a lot for your really quick response. Works great!

no problem glad you got it, any further queries just post them and the guys around here will be sure to help you out
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules