Thread: just a question about vista ultimate

just a question about vista ultimate

I was wondering something about Windows Vista,Im not planning on upgrading any time soon but today i was looking on newegg at vista ultimate.I notice the one i was looking at was 32 bit version.However that copy was a system builder version.So i was wondering if i get the ultimate edition in the future for use on my current system (32bit) and later upgrade to a 64 bit system that would mean i would have to buy yet another copy of vista for 64bit support?Or would i be able to use the same version and choose between 32 or 64 bit during installation?Thanks

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The Ultimate (retail) DVD includes both 32 and 64-bit install options.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I am under the impression that the dvd included all versions however, you are buying a single license and that is the version you bought (Home or ultimate) and it will not work for any other versions.

32 and 64 are different products and thus use different license keys
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As far as i am aware its only the Ultimate DVD that includes 32 and 64 bit versions.

If you buy a 32-bit Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business version and want to install a 64-bit version you have to order an extra DVD directly from M$. The 32-bit packages include instructions and a website link on how to upgrade to 64-bit.

32-bit CD
    If your system features a CD drive but no DVD drive, you can order Windows Vista on CD-ROM. The installation files span multiple discs, so unattended installations are not possible.

64-bit DVD
    If your system features a 64-bit processor, you can take advantage of its advanced design by ordering 64-bit software media. You'll get the same interface, features, and functions, but you'll get them in an operating system that takes advantage of access to vastly more memory. All installation files are on a single disc. Please note that 64-bit media is included in the box with the purchase of Windows Vista Ultimate.
    More info: here and here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks Rev,thats exactly what i was hoping for as i currently still use a 32bit system as my main PC but would like to upgrade to vista in the future and probally upgrade to a 64bit PC soon after.t you know having to buy it twice would really suck lol.

going to 64 bit is REALLY GOOD!

Yep it is but i wont make the jump until all the various software i use is 64 bit compatable