Thread: Image Dilemma

Image Dilemma

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to print an image on a piece of paper with a hole in the middle of the paper. Placing that hole on the N part of the globe and wrapping the paper around the globe/dome. The wrapping process kinda destroys the image and im not an orgami expert. Any ideas?

A problem as old as world map-making. You either loose accuracy or image near the poles. To fully appreciate the problem, try opening and flattening out a cheap basketball or some other thin layer ball. If you get it reasonably flat, you will have something so cut up that you wont be able to copy onto it. I don't see an easy solution. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Remember those sliced-up global maps in geography textbooks? Don't know exactly how that solves the dilemma, but it's a starting point.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    your best bet is to print X number of long strips 1 - 2 inches wide that narrow down near the poles. (longitudes) ... then glue these down on your globe.

Use photoshop to narrow the image, it will resize automatically - hence trying to keep the details.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    you have to have a layout for that type. There are layut for printing in ball/globe but are difficult to manage because of the curvature as blackhat pointed out.
    Cash has a nice approach.
    Best approach if you get the layout is to use 2 pieces. 1 for north and 1 for south (if you look at the map globes, they are actually 2 pieces)
    The main thing is to find the layout. Maybe search for map layout, globe layout or similar.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    let us know how you go

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---