Thread: Windows Media Player 11 Nightmare [FIXED]

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Windows Media Player 11 Nightmare [FIXED]

Hi guys & girls, longtime no see.

How is everyone doing?

Onto business, does anyone know how to stop Windows Media Player from associating it's self with every single damn media file in Windows Vista!?

I've looked everywhere in the options and it seems Microsoft either didn't make an option to de-intergrate WMP in Vista or they have hidden the option very well!

I got Windows Vista Premium with my new laptop last month and while the whole Vista experience has been great (except driver support of course) the damn WMP 11 is a right pain in the ass, i want Winamp to play my music files again!

I wouldn't mind but i've upgraded to the latest version of Winamp 5.33 and told it's agent to maintain file association but WMP just keeps holding on and it's extremely irritating. I'm a old school type of guy, always have been, WMP for video and Winamp for audio, it's been my way since 1998 and Windows Vista is really screwing with my tradition!

If anyone can help me with this problem it would be very much appreciated as i've searched google with no luck.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; April 18th, 2007 at 22:59 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Check the Tools->options->File Types tab... untick the audio file checkboxes... then go to WinAmp and try to re-associate the MP3 ... also check the folder options in windows Explorer for file associations...

You might also need to check the default program access, and change it from WMP to Winamp

Good luck, but its great to see you around TZ

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie View Post
    Hi guys & girls, longtime no see.

How is everyone doing?

Onto business, does anyone know how to stop Windows Media Player from associating it's self with every single damn media file in Windows Vista!?

I've looked everywhere in the options and it seems Microsoft either didn't make an option to de-intergrate WMP in Vista or they have hidden the option very well!

I got Windows Vista Premium with my new laptop last month and while the whole Vista experience has been great (except driver support of course) the damn WMP 11 is a right pain in the ass, i want Winamp to play my music files again!

I wouldn't mind but i've upgraded to the latest version of Winamp 5.33 and told it's agent to maintain file association but WMP just keeps holding on and it's extremely irritating. I'm a old school type of guy, always have been, WMP for video and Winamp for audio, it's been my way since 1998 and Windows Vista is really screwing with my tradition!

If anyone can help me with this problem it would be very much appreciated as i've searched google with no luck.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey stranger! How you doin?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post

You might also need to check the default program access, and change it from WMP to Winamp

Good luck, but its great to see you around TZ

Maybe try the "Set Program Access and Defaults"?

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post

Maybe try the "Set Program Access and Defaults"?
    Yeehaw, that's the one! Thanks buddy!

I really don't like the way Microsoft have done things in Vista, they have made everyone idiot proof and simple (hard to get your head around when you have gotten use to all the advanced features of previous versions of Windows )

I'm good Conan, my life's been really busy the last 3 years, mostly work and all, i very rarely chat or socialize on the internet, mostly buy things and research, just don't have the time for little things anymore, i guess i could say i've finally got a life

That's why it is so nice when i do get the time to catch up with old friends, so along those lines, how's life been treating ya?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie View Post
    Yeehaw, that's the one! Thanks buddy!

I really don't like the way Microsoft have done things in Vista, they have made everyone idiot proof and simple (hard to get your head around when you have gotten use to all the advanced features of previous versions of Windows )

I'm good Conan, my life's been really busy the last 3 years, mostly work and all, i very rarely chat or socialize on the internet, mostly buy things and research, just don't have the time for little things anymore, i guess i could say i've finally got a life

That's why it is so nice when i do get the time to catch up with old friends, so along those lines, how's life been treating ya?
    I've been good bro, also busy with work I'm now the Marketing Manager of Gold's Gym over here. But I still make time for my "internet life".

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I've been good bro, also busy with work I'm now the Marketing Manager of Gold's Gym over here. But I still make time for my "internet life".
    Good to hear bro, good to see someone doing a job that they love, i'm currently working as a recruitment assistant manager for a huge food retail company, it's excellent pay & ok work, but it's only until i find something better.

Moved back to London 4 months from a Gap year from "life" and been DIY'ing the house all the time and only just recently started getting personal time for myself which i'm gonna use to finish a MCSE course i started 2 years ago, lol

Other than that, i'm all good, once i've finished my MCSE course, i suspect you'll see more of me, but with work and training as it is, there's just not enough time in the day!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good to hear you got it fixed Gimmie!

Also good to see you back online for a short time Keep the hard work going, it all pays off at the end

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---