Thread: Fat32 to NTFS

Fat32 to NTFS

So I've looked around the threads and haven't found what I am looking for quite yet. I know that when you want to convert from Fat32 to NTFS you go to cmd prompt and type in without quotes "convert drive letter /fs:ntfs" and you can add in /v or /x if you want to dismount or have no disruption.

My problem is that when it says to Enter current volume label for drive C: and I enter C:, or C, or c, or D, or X, , it gives me an error saying An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive.

I can't seem to solve this, and I can't boot into CMD Prompt to do it from there.

What do I do?

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    http://www.google.com/search?q="conv...e=utf8&oe=utf8
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb456984.aspx

C:\Windows\system32>help convert
    Converts a FAT volume to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume
    Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
    /FS:NTFS
    Specifies that the volume will be converted to NTFS.
    /V
    Specifies that Convert will be run in verbose mode.
    /CvtArea:filename
    Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory that will be the place holder for NTFS system files.
    /NoSecurity
    Specifies that the security settings on the converted files and directories allow access by all users.
    /X
    Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All open handles to the volume will not be valid.

Try switches /v and /x. To create a log for possible troubleshooting, append >[path to logfile to create].txt to the command BEFORE hitting enter.
    Last edited by piaqt; June 20th, 2007 at 16:35 PM.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

How do I append that logfile? My problem is not the command, my problem is after I enter the command, it will not recognized the Volume Label I enter. I am trying to convert drive C, and I enter C when it asks for the volume label and it says it is incorrect.

I do have a split drive (C and D) 30GB each, if that changes anything.

Hey man,
    I dont know if this will help but i was doing a little reading and found some similar cases to your problem.Now heres the question does your C partition assuming thats the partition your Operating system is installed on have a volume label?For example my C drive has a volume label called "Local Disk" i have used the same method to convert my drive in the past and it worked fine.when you type your command C: /fs:ntfs after it should have you enter the volume label if you have none you just press enter if you do then enter the volume label as seen on the drive then press enter.You should then be prompted to schedule the conversion after a restart since the drive is in use.
    Good luck
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; June 21st, 2007 at 00:42 AM.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    What he said. To create output from a command-line, after you've typed the command and any parameters, BEFORE you hit enter, type > [path to save file]\filename.txt. Example:
    [command] [params] > c:\logfiles\format.txt
    ">" (sans quotes) is the command for output.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

I figured it out, my drives do have volume labels, and everything is NTFS now.

I think I have a partitioned drive. One is C: and the other is D:. I want to install a small Linux OS on D: so I can learn to use it. Where do I start? Is this the right forum for that question?

Thanks for all of the help and sorry I was so stupid back there.

Good to hear you got it sorted out and working.

In reguards to Linux i believe you would ask that in This forum area.