Thread: Unable to Relocate Documents Folder [FIXED]

Unable to Relocate Documents Folder [FIXED]

Hello,

I just reinstalled vista-Ultimate, and I want to relocate the "Documents" folder to the "D" drive so I can separate my data from the OS, whihc is installed on the "C" drive. The process to do this is described at the link below. However, I am unable to relocate the "Documents" folder, despite this should be an easy process!!
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=215

When try to move the "Documents" folder,
    TO: D:\Data Files - JSM\Documents,

I recieve the following msg: "There is already a file with the same name in this location".

However, there is no file; the "D" drive was just formatted and is brand new. Why Do I get this msg? And what do I do to resolve the issue? My purpose is to put my data on a drive, separate from the Vista-OS.

Thanks!

Scott

PS At one point, I believe I was successful; but since I wipe and reformmated my drive, I have not been successful at placing the Documents folder on the "D" drive.
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    1. If you haven't already, go into folder options and on the View tab, select "Show hidden files and folders."
    2. Try moving the folder to a different location; instead of D:\Data Files - JSM\Documents, try D:\Users\JSM\Documents (for example).
    3. Try researching this query in the Vista newsgroups.
    Last edited by piaqt; July 11th, 2007 at 15:53 PM.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Unable to Relocate Documents Folder (still)

1. If you haven't already, go into folder options and on the View tab, select "Show hidden files and folders."
    2. Try moving the folder to a different location; instead of D:\Data Files - JSM\Documents, try D:\Users\JSM\Documents (for example).
    Both these were good ideas; thx. However, implementing item #1 reveals no hidden folders or files--the drive is truly pristine. And item #2 doesn't work: I am unable to relocate the documents folder to another drive or another location.

I'll the newsgroups search. Thx for the suggestion.
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Try googling this: "move documents folder" +vista. Also try searching MSDN.microsoft.com and Technet.microsoft.com. And http://www.aumha.org/win5/index.htm. If you come up with a solution and/or workaround, please post. I'm sure you're not the only one who's had this problem. This is Microsoft we're discussing.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

RE: Still unable to relocate Documents Folder

Piaqt,

Yes, Thx. I am actively looking for a solution. I believe it may be related to my hard drives and that I previously had these files on them, but I"ve since reformatted twice.

The "D" drive is a RAID1 array, an probabl some portion of the file is retained, even though I can't se it. Hmmm...Also, I reformatted the RAID 1 array form the Disk Manager, when maybe I should've formatted each individuallyl from the Raid BIOS? Hmmm.

I bet if I had two new drives this would work. Thx for the suggestion on the newsgroups; I am using the MS News Group.

Scott

Dunno one array from another, but, generally speaking, the further under the hood you go to make system changes, the better they work. A minor f'rinstance: the Vista version of the defrag GUI is inferior to XP's. Solution: run defrag.exe from the command line, and you can get the information you did from XP's GUI version.

love, piaqt

Hello,

I should update that this problem is now resolved--it lot of effort on the part of myself and someone in the Cybertechhelp forum; ultimately Microsoft Support suggested the set actions which resolve the problem. Complete details and history can be found at:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=159723

The solution itself is reported below, but for anyone with a related problem, I recommend reading the entire history.

Hello,

I consulted with Microsoft Support Service over this issue and the problem is now solved. I can't exactly point to what happened, but here are some details:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    The MS Support engineer believed this issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. The current user profile is corrupt.
    2. The programs block this step.
    3. The D drive is set up as a RAID 1.

He then suggested I perform these steps after reformatting drive D.

=============================
    1. Click Start button, click Computer.
    2. Navigate to C:\Users\User Folder\Documents
    3. Right click Documents, choose Properties.
    4. Click the Location tab, click Move.
    5. Choose D:\Data Files – JSM, create a new folder named
    Documents, choose this folder and click “Select folder”
    6. Click Apply, click Yes when the box appears.

This worked and my comments are as follows:
    1. I formatted the drive before and I don't believe this resolve the
    problem.
    2. More likely, step #5 is the main part of the solution. Previously
    I just attempted to move my 'Documents' folder from drive C, but
    step #5 above, requests that I 1st create a new 'Documents'
    folder on drive D and move C:/User/User Folder/Documents
    to drive D, as in: D:/JSM - Files/Documents.

When I followed the above, 'Documents' was created on drive D and it had the special properties; it left a 'Documents' folder behind on 'C' that no longer had the special shell folder properties.

While this solution is probably not general for many users, and a 'Documents' folder can be relocated directly, without 1st creating a 'Documents' folder in the new location, it was necessary for me and my situation; I can't explain why (maybe someone here can?), but I can tell you it worked. And I am very glad for that!!

Thanks for reading.

Scott

Someone somewhere owes you medical reimbursement for all the aspirin you went through. Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for posting the link to the solution. All 3 pages of it.

love, piaqt