up the drivers or any thing. I have an XP CD that is

bootable.

Vista won't operate my printer or software. It takes

960 MB of memory just sitting there doing nothing. I

turned off all the things that I can. All the buttons are in a

different place & I can't find them.

Is there a tutorial or something? Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Lots of the newer systems don't have the correct chipset driver or other driver support to run XP. Most of the vendodrs are getting away from supporting it. That's not to say that the systems won't run XP, but it may be very difficult to get it all setup.

Have you tried the Windows Tour that's on the system? It's pretty good about familiarization of whats new and such.

I meant a tutorial for how to install XP.

I tried the Windows Tour that's on the system. It's not that different than XP.

My XP used 270 MB of memory, fully loaded while just sitting there doing nothing. Vista uses 560 MB stripped of eye candy & conveniences.

I can't multi-task. I surf the net slowly & do 1 other thing. My Athlon X2 4000+ with 2 GB of memory on Vista has the power & speed of my Celeron 2.1 GB, 512 MB memory PC on XP. My new PC has all the powerlessness of my old PC.

Most of the software is for XP.

My thumbnails no longer show the image.

Vista is like XP on CRACK.
    Last edited by veronica; August 20th, 2007 at 15:42 PM. Reason: I didn't want to repeat myself.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi veronica

Its easy to rid yourself of Vista and install XP

First you need to tell me what brand (I think Dell ?) and model # so I can round you up your driver package. Dell (if thats the brand) might not want to give you XP drivers.....but I'll find them for you, that is if you even need any

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What Anti-Virus are you using? It could be related to that. My memory usage is 530mb at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Its easy to rid yourself of Vista and install XP

First you need to tell me what brand (I think Dell ?) and model # so I can round you up your driver package. Dell (if thats the brand) might not want to give you XP drivers.....but I'll find them for you, that is if you even need any
    I already got the Dell Drivers for XP, thanks any way. They are EXE programs. I got them from the Dell site.

I tried booting from the XP CD & Vista came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    What Anti-Virus are you using? It could be related to that. My memory usage is 530mb at idle.
    It came with a trail version of Norton Internet Suite.

Thank you both.
    Last edited by rik; August 21st, 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Bronze Member
    Unfortunately, most security suites are resource hogs, and Norton is one of the worstest and baddest... It used to be good, but a bit slow. Nowadays, it leaves you with a commodore 64 to do your work (or games), while hogging the rest for itself, if you got something less than cutting edge hardware.

I recently got some introductory stuff on a "security suite on a stick" from the norwegian distributor. This looks promising, but I haven't gotten around to test it. It's basically a USB stick with a hardened linux computer on it running a security suite that will commandeer your network connections and insert itself as a security layer between you and the 'net. Very neat looking. It comes in two flavours - one enterprise version with management and VPN functionality, and one "personal" version without management and VPN and a few dollars less.

http://www.yoggie.com/

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Thank you.