Thread: 450,000 Files?

450,000 Files?

For years my XP home OS has always had about 120,000 files. I installed AdAware 2007 and each time I run it, it finds the usual 8-15 pieces of ad ware that I remove. However, it reports that it has scanned approximately 450K of files. I doubt this report as the sys runs the same as it always has. Any thoughts? Do I have a bacterial culture growing in front of my eyes? DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Unless I misread the post, that isn't the number of files scanned. Only the total size of what it scanned.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think its the way files are counted and how they're scanned. You can run 3 different AV's and they give different file counts.

Scan all files would be every line of code on the PC, that could be a lot if each is counted as a file scanned

For years my XP home OS has always had about 120,000 files.
    What program was giving you this file count ? and how much has the file count changed with this program ?

And don't forget about System Restore and how it changes things

Thanks Rik and FG, It's just AdAware. The old version always reported approx. 120,000 files scanned and the updated program (AdAware 2007) has consistently reported approx. 450,000 files scanned. There hasn't been any slow down or instability- the system runs just fine. The new program doesn't take any longer to run (abt 15 min.) It just reports 4 times as many files have been scanned. Thought I should ask if this indicates a possible growing problem. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Sorry about giving you bad information. I run 4 different scans every 2 weeks and I just finished running them. It's not AdAware that is reporting the 4-fold increase in the number of files scanned, it's Norton AV that has reported the increase in the number of files scanned from ~120,000 to ~468,000. Hope I have not wasted much your time. I'd still like to understand what's going on here. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"