Thread: Active Directory Search

Unhappy Active Directory Search

Hi,

We had a major server crash and i had to reinstall 2003 and restore AD. The system works fine and i can search AD within the AD server but when it comes to searching AD for a printer or share a file and set permissions on user accounts running XP the "find now" list only comes up with the local user accounts. It really annoying as i am trying to set up a fileserver and this cant find the AD list either. Is there a way of repairing AD????

An unusual problem that I have not heard of before. A Google search of "repair active directory" revealed a lot of information on the subject. The one that caught my eye was here - http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Activ...r-t168272.html

Here is another possible solution - http://www.officerecovery.com/activedirectory/index.htm
    Last edited by efc; August 24th, 2007 at 14:10 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I had this problem...it was prior to XP SP1 though.
    Our problem was that the actual Domain rebuild was different. AD 2K3 native mode actually uses UID and OID so unless you rebuild it the MS way it most likely it is another domain with the same name. So until your PCs and Printer re-register with the domain they will not know it is the same domain.
    The interesting part would be, from where do you manage the AD and with which tools.
    Do it from another manchine which is completely up to date (I never manage AD from the server itself) and if you can get your hands on Hyena. This tool can save reports and settings from your AD (it could take some time to run the first scan, but it is great as a documentation tool as well)
    Hyena will also give you the UID and OID (which you can get with LDAP queries as well)
    Check from another machine to see if it detects the same domain. And also if you can rejoin a machine to the domain and see if when doing it, when you login with an account that you used previously if it created another container inside the machine (C:\Documents and Settings\username). Lets say you logged in before as [email protected], rejoined the pc and logged in again as [email protected], then you see C:\Documents and Settings\david and C:\Documents and Settings\david.domain then that means it recreated the account, and thus it thought the account was different (because UID wise it is)

Wink

HHHmmmmmm

a pretty annoying problem, will try a few hyena workarounds but r u saying i must boot out every machine and rejoin it. Will this lose my profiles??? will a install over the top fix it???

This definatley sounds must like the problem as i noticed a few strange things today. Will keep u posted

thanks again

ok

i took a pc out of the domain then put it back in and there was no new accounts made in the documents eg i used to log in as jack@domain. Booted out of domain then when i put the pc back into the domain and logged in as jack@domain and it did not recreate the account.

really fraustrated as it does not seem to update now and net framewotk 2.0 seems to be uninstalled. do u think this could be a problem. At the mo i may have to start from stratch and i aint looking forward to that

i have now used that hyena software and it is very strange.when i log in i can sometimes see all machines minus 2 or 3, then if i log back in again i can only see 1 or 2. it is as if a am looking at a different domain on the same internal network.

tried booting the pcs in and out of domains but it does not seem to make a diffrence.

i think this is looking like a whole new install

please someone help