Thread: Modem Problem with SP1

Modem Problem with SP1

Have first problem with SP1, since installing the cannot get the Motorola Cable Moden to start up like it used to. I must now unplug the modem when I shut down the pc, then turn on the pc and then the modem, thats the only way it will boot up. Hope this makes sense to you. I use Sygate Home Network, they say not thier problem. I've heard of others having same problem, but does any one know of a fix for it? thanks very much.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What model is it? Is it a surfboard by chance? Is it a USB or ethernet type? If so, you most likely need updated XP drivers:
    USB drivers below:
    http://www.gi.com/noflash/usb_drivers.asp

Use the above just in case SP1 caused a driver reinstall, that is not working now. SP1 is known to reinstall drivers for XP... usually they are generic or older drivers than what is available.

Another thing you can try is resetting your modem. First disconnect it from the USB or ethernet cable, then get a small pin or toothpick, and find the small reset hole on the back of the modem, (there may be a reset switch or button) push it and hold for 5 seconds. Then power off the modem, (turn power switch off or unplug the power adapater), then plug it back in and try it out.

Just my advice.
    BB

MOdem Problem with SP1

Thanks for the reply, will try it soon. I don't use USB so will try the reset button, but will I (or cable company) have to reset tcp/ip or nic card settings after the modem reset? thanks very much for your help with this.. i am a novice with this

First try Big Boogers suggestions as they are sound. One thing that he ask for is more information on the modem. What brand, model etc.

Is it a stand alone modem and you have a NIC in the PC? Or is it a PCI card that goes into the PC and the cable hooks directly to it.

If it is a stand alone modem then more than likely the modem its self connects to your IP and you connect to the modem via the NIC. If this is the case then the DHCP will assign an IP address to the NIC (computer). Which may mean that you do not have a static address.

Here is a site to check out for more information on networking...
    Last edited by Tinker; September 24th, 2002 at 21:00 PM.

MOdem Problem with SP1

Sorry, will give you more info Motorola Surfboarb SB4100. Have NIC inside pc's, using Linksys Switch. Modem connects to pc NIC and then PC NIC to Switchbox. Using Sygate Home Network. Hope this gives you more idea of what i'm doing: thanks very much.

Thanks for the information.

Look at this page to see if you can tell if you are getting a auto IP from the DHCP...

Sounds to me like your computer is only looking for an IP one time, if it does not get one from the modem it will use a default. The default will go no where for you. When you modem is powered up it finds the computer NIC and gives it an IP to work with..........

This is of course IMHO..........

See what you can find and let us know.....

Modem Problem with SP1

Resetting the modem had no effect. was able to check tcp/ip settings show config manually. will try auto setting and see what happens.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Allen,
    Try hooking the modem directly into the PC, without the switch, if it works fine then you know there is an issue with the switch. If it doesn't work then you have isolated the issue.

Now you can work on the modem. If you rent it, then I would suggest you contact your provider and request a replacement unit as soon as possible. If you own it, contact the manufacturer about a return/replacement.
    If the manual configuration of the TCP/IP settings fails it's most likely an incompatibility with SP1 and your modem. I'd recommend not installing SP1 until your company sorts out the SP1 incompatibilty, that is if it worked prior to installing SP1.

If you do away with SP1 I highly suggest you to run all of the critical updates from MS just to keep your machine up-to-date.
    Hope that helps,
    BB

Talking Modem Problem With SP1

Well I've said it before and I will say it again.... you guys are GREAT Turns out the IP settings got changed, from auto to manual configuration. So all I had to do was just reconfigure the settings and the problem was fixed thanks again for all your help. Allen

Way to go Allen6...........

Thanks for reporting your findings back to the forum. This helps us all to figure out our little code problems.......