Thread: Getting Old Mail in OE

Getting Old Mail in OE

I had a lot of old e-mails saved in Outlook on my old machine. I saved them to a CD and moved them to the XP machine but I can't figure out how to make Windows open the %$@* thing. Anybody got any ideas?

Jim

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Jim,
    Open Outlook,
    Click file, then import. It should work.
    Let me know how you get on.
    BB

Thanks, I finally guessed enough of what Bill whated where to get import to work. It imported everyones old e-mails but mine. Maybe I did something last night that wrecked that folder. Thanks again.

Jim

Jim Fife,

If you haven't deleted that folder you might want to try DBXtract. A small utility that helps to backup and read those dbx files for Outlook Express.

OE5 has a proprietary binary format that makes archiving individual messages difficult. In addition, a number of people have indicated that their message folders have become corrupted and OE can not read them. Consequently, they have lost all the messages in that folder. DBXtract.exe extracts all mail and news messages from individual dbx files. (It is very important that OE is CLOSED when the program is running!!)
    http://www.webattack.com/get/dbx.shtml

Thor

Update

A word of caution!! If you decide to open a folder full of .dbx files make sure that you point the decoding to a folder or you'll have mail all over the desktop.

http://chatt.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm

Thor