Thread: Connectivity issues (recent)

Bronze Member

Connectivity issues (recent)

I'm having issues with webpages showing up with just a blank, google taking long time to load, server resets, page cannot be show, ect..... This is with both IE and FX. I tried openDNS and thought that worked for a while but it's doing it again with all webpages. It requires two, sometimes three tries or sometimes the first time but it happens very often. What is going on?
    lynchknot's altered ego

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Might be a problem with your ISP's DNS.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Might be a problem with your ISP's DNS.
    That's what I was assuming. That's why I said I have switched to openDNS but it's still the same.

Here's a new one I've never seen before - just happened now -

I just got a blank page hitting my router's address. I went to speakeasy speed test. shouldn't it be kBps not kbps?

Last edited by usergame; October 26th, 2007 at 03:20 AM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    If you open the CMD and ping google or yahoo, are the reply times pretty quick? Or do they take a long time? If you ping them while getting the 'page cannot be displayed' message, does the ping timeout?

Addtionally, if you ping the router while you are getting the 'page cannot be displayed' error, do you get reply's?

After it connects, does it work fine? Or do you need to constantly refresh websites until they load?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usergame View Post
    I went to speakeasy speed test. shouldn't it be kBps not kbps?
    From DSLreports:
    There are 8 Kb (kilobits) in every KB (kilobyte). Thus if your browser is showing that you are downloading a file at 176 KBps you would then multiply 176 times 8 which would translate to 1,408 Kbps. The reverse can be used if your transfer rate is in Kbps then you divide that number by 8 to get your rate in KBps. Example:1400 Kbps divided by 8 equals 176 KBps transfer rate.

If you wanted to know how many bps (bits per second) you are transferring, all you need to do is a straight decimal conversion. Example: 1,408 Kbps would translate to 1,408,000 bps.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    If you open the CMD and ping google or yahoo, are the reply times pretty quick? Or do they take a long time? If you ping them while getting the 'page cannot be displayed' message, does the ping timeout?

Addtionally, if you ping the router while you are getting the 'page cannot be displayed' error, do you get reply's?

After it connects, does it work fine? Or do you need to constantly refresh websites until they load?
    It pinged quickly but the time I hit this page with "reply with quote" it required over a minute to load the page so I can start typing - and this page is still loading as I hit reply...

***edit - I pinged google again:

Pinging google.com [64.233.167.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 65ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 66ms

So I am getting intermittent time outs. I called my ISP and, as usual, they want to send a tech out and as usual, they said it could be the modem. This time they may be right. They were wrong all the other times. They said they received a red signal from my modem but could not elaborate what that meant. They said they will swap me for my modem for free.

Ok now I plug my computer directly into modem and only packet losses I get are the bittorent group I'm a member of. Maybe my ISP is making me un-connectable on purpose on that site but could only be obvious when I took my router out of the loop.
    Last edited by usergame; October 27th, 2007 at 22:08 PM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Bronze Member
    bump for "new posts" I need to resolve this issue badly

Ok now I plug my computer directly into modem and only packet losses I get are the bittorent group (HTTPS) I'm a member of. Maybe my ISP is making me un-connectable on purpose on that site but could only be obvious when I took my router out of the loop. All other sites are much faster at loading. All but that one site.
    Last edited by usergame; October 27th, 2007 at 22:21 PM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have read recently that some ISPs were slowing down the p2p sites...

Bronze Member
    "It's been widely reported that Comcast is engaged in a sneaky form of Internet filtering. The company is terminating its customers' BitTorrent sessions by sending misleading data onto the network. The end result is that instead of targeting key heavy users, Comcast is instead engaged in an all out war against P2P protocols. In an interview with CNET, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's Fred von Lohmann states that Comcast is 'throwing a spanner in the works of the Internet, hoping that this will somehow reduce bandwidth usage overall.' Other lawyers seem to have smelled blood, and are circling in the water. Lohmann reveals that '[The EFF has] already been contacted by attorneys who are considering legal action against Comcast.' Could Comcast be facing a class-action?"

comcast is resetting your p2p connections..i think there's a class action lawsuit getting organized somewhere..my suggestion: change your isp and tell them why you did it
    I don't have a choice. Comcast is the only cable supplier and I live too far away for DSL to work well.
    lynchknot's altered ego