Thread: Windows Mail or Outlook

Silver Member

Windows Mail or Outlook

In Vista, I would assume that Windows Mail is similar to Outlook Express ??
    If so, I would assume that Outlook is probably still better than Windows Mail ?
    Thanks, Mike

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Windows Mail is the newest version of OE, renamed, with just a few differences. Whether Outlook is better is up for debate. It just depends on what you want and need.

personally i prefer windows live mail

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by philedw23 View Post
    personally i prefer windows live mail
    Why? There's nothing wrong with windows live Mail, i'm just trying to get you to elaborate, as everyone's opinion is important and quite often helpful to other members

I like Outlook. It has some features which the old OE didnt have, and I guess, from using it at work all the time, i'm just used to it. I'm running 2007 version, and the To-Do Bar, reading pane options are excellent. Also, it supports RPC over HTTPS connection so i can access emails outside of work lan without the need of VPN

Now, in saying that, at home with Vista, I haven't really played around with Windows Liive Mail. It seems well integrated into Vista and logon screens etc... but not sure about features such as newsnet, RSS or connecting to Exchange.

What are other people's thoughts?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. Guess I will just try Windows Mail for a while, since I used OE before. Maybe after a while I will switch to Outlook, because that is also what I use at work. You are probably asking yourself--why did this guy use Outlook at work, and Outlook Express at home ? I am asking myself that too !!!! Another question--I thought I read somewhere that Outlook might be a bit more safer / secure than OE or now Windows Mail ? If that is true, maybe I should just use Outlook. I am behind a linksys router, and that windows Firewall.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    thought.....web based mail, been using it for years...no issues, no viruses..etc....access from any place anytime....woo hoo...lol...jmpt...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar