Thread: Sychronise some folders across 2 PCs

Sychronise some folders across 2 PCs

I just got my laptop (A Vostro 1000) from Dell. It's going to act mostly as a 2nd system in case my PC breaks or we have a power-cut or our internet goes down. So it needs to always be up to date because in such situations I might not be able to access my main PC to get the files.

Both PCs will have WinXP (the laptop has pro and the desktop has home edition) and Office Professional 2007. What is a simple way I can set things up so if both are on the network, certain folders ONLY get synchronized? I have MS Groove which mentions some sort of Synchronisation but I've no idea if it's useful. I also have a whole bunch of MS software from being a partner, so if they make a good tool I probably have it. Changes will mostly be from desktop -> laptop if this makes any difference?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Here is a good article at LifeHacker that is specifically aimed at the MS SyncToy, but if you scroll down thru the comments at the bottom there are many other suggestions for synchronization programs. Some free, Some not. I am testing a few of them at home now, but not far enough along to suggest one over another.

I use a free application I found out about through my school. It is called Tortoise CVS. I use it a lot for file synchronization epically when multiple people are modifying the same file or source codes it will make sure to keep them up to date. But I have been using it now for a little over a year and I love it and it is free to use. So as I always say “if its free it worth a try”

I use CVS/SVN already, so maybe that is worth a try. It's not quite the solution I prefer but it is workable.

You can also try some of this freeware stuff. I have not used any of them but they are also worth a look.

Shareware Connection

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    A CVS or SVN system is great for all your software code (as it is a version control utility such as SourceSafe etc..) For other random files, the MS Sync Toy is prolly one of the best, most configurable etc... excellent link from RIK...

The next best bet would be a sourceforge account, or other online storage, so therefore it would be accessible anywhere anytime

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    A CVS or SVN system is great for all your software code (as it is a version control utility such as SourceSafe etc..) For other random files, the MS Sync Toy is prolly one of the best, most configurable etc... excellent link from RIK...

The next best bet would be a sourceforge account, or other online storage, so therefore it would be accessible anywhere anytime
    I use one of them as well at Orbitfiles, Free 7 GIG of network storage.