Thread: Can you force an XP SP1 installation???

Can you force an XP SP1 installation???

Hello... I need to reinstall Windows XP SP1 on my desktop, but it came loaded with SP2 & Windows won't let me install the older (SP1) version. I didn't get a copy of SP2 when I bought the desktop. Is there a way to force a SP1 installation??? Thanks.

Look for a program called nlite, just google it, it will be the first that pops up, download sp2 standalone as well. Copy your Xp cd to your harddrive, run nlite, let it slipstream the sp2 installation. Let nlite make and image and burn it.

Hint: You also can add updates with it as well so you don't have to spend your time updating.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You must be trying an XP SP1 upgrade CD ? , if not then wipe the drive and you can install anything without forcing.....

If you have XP SP1upgrade and a Win 98/ME CD you can do a clean install after wiping the drive.

As thraxed suggested nlite is nice and easy.

Well there is another way to get around this problem. I have windows XP SP1 CD as well and I was having problems with an installation. The way I got around this problem was to make a new Windows XP CD using your original CD (legally purchased) this is the step you need to follow to accomplish a SP2 Slipstream.
    1. Copy you Windows XP CD to a new fold on your desk top (E.X. c:\windowsXPSP2)
    2. Download Windows XP SP2
    3. Click on start > Run > cmd
    4. Then navigate to the folder where you have SP2 downloaded
    5. Type the following command line Service pack filename /integrate:C:\windowsXPSP2
    6. Wait for a message saying integration successful
    7. The take the file you placed in windowsXPSP2 with the newly added SP2 file content and make a new BOOTABLE CD.
    8. Then the windows will install using SP2

Also here is a link to a web site that goes through more detail about this just in case you need additional information on how to do this. http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

linedawg, nlite does the same thing, but makes the process a lot easier, ya should give it a try.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sorry for asking but...Why do you want SP1 instead of SP2?

Quote Originally Posted by thraxed View Post
    linedawg, nlite does the same thing, but makes the process a lot easier, ya should give it a try.
    Thanks Thraxed,
    I did give nLite a try and I have to say I love it. Not only is slipstreaming easier but I love the way you can add content to windows like drivers and SP and so for. Thanks for the advice on that application.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Sorry for asking but...Why do you want SP1 instead of SP2?
    '640' bug perhaps

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---