Thread: Adverts in MSN Messenger

Adverts in MSN Messenger

I'm using v8.1 and I'm tired of the big advert panel at the bottom. Also I get popups from Messenger sometimes.
    Is there a way to stop this?

One way is to not use messenger. I am currently using a program called Pidgen. This is the program description at Majorgeeks:

"Pidgin (formerly Gaim) is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time. Pidgin supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more. Pidgin runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus and iPaq)."

Download Here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Pidgin_d4262.html
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    One way is to not use messenger.
    That's not really the answer I was looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    I tried it but it told me I don't have MSN Messenger installed. Which is odd since I just installed the latest version this week. Maybe it doesn't support Live Messenger, only older versions?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Smartass.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

That link doesn't work for me. Maybe the site is down, can anyone confirm that link is correct?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    That link doesn't work for me. Maybe the site is down, can anyone confirm that link is correct?
    The link works from my end.

love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Link worked for me... but I think it's for the old version of 8.5

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I realised something. On both my desktop and and laptop, Messenger has a small banner at the bottom - this isn't actually too annoying really. The annoying thing is the special window which keeps appearing on my laptop. It doesn't appear on my desktop which makes me think either there is some setting in MSN I can't see, or some setting in IE?