Thread: Backup size difference

Silver Member

Backup size difference

I used Acronis True Image to make a backup copy of my "C" drive to a partition on a second hard drive in my computer. The original space used on the "C" drive for the OS and everything else was about 20 Gig. The copy on the other hard drive was only about 12 Gig. Why such a big difference in space ? Does the copy get Zipped or compressed ?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Yes the backup is compressed. If you choose advanced options you can choose the compression levels. Of course the higher the compression, the longer it will take to backup.

Silver Member
    Thanks Conan for the reply.

Mike13, I've been using Acronis for some time and am currently using v.11 Home. Have you done a serious restore yet? I've had to, and found it worked very well. I'd be pleased to hear if you've had any problems with your Acronis, as you only find out it's true value when the worst happens....and then it can be too late!
    Bowman

Silver Member
    Bowman ... No, I have not done a RESTORE yet. I have made about 3 or 4 backups, but never a restore. Not sure I know how to do it. One of these days, I will print out the instructions to do a RESTORE. Mike

Love acronis, keep a 40 gig primary partition for the us. Have images of all osses. So whatever i feel like running, wam 3 mins and im on that os

I have done many restores with many versions of acronis TI going back to Version 6. Cold cloning is always OK but with hot cloning you only need worry about databases like SQL or EXCHANGE (email) and even then if you stop the database when you start the clone you can then restart the database when the clone is running and it will copy ok. Excellent product.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?