Thread: Running SO SO SLOW

Running SO SO SLOW

I have an AMD Athlon 64 and of course XP. Thing is my computer is VERY slow now. I mean click on an Icon, wait for it.........THEN it loads. Word is slow, most programs are slow. I can crash it easy if I want. My Puter isn't that old, 2005 100 Gig hard drive and could run Doom 3 Pretty well. Any help or any way to make it speed up?

You shouldn't have that slow of response with any Athlon 64 processor running xp. My guess is that you are bogged down with adaware and maybe viruses.

Things to do. Make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date and scan your system. If you have Norton or Mcafee on your computer and you have not paid subscription fees it is not doing the job. If that is the case, download a free av package, remove your old av software, install the new and scan your system. AVG Free is available here.

Next get a adaware scanner and scan your system. AdAware by Lavasoft

The next item is designed to immunize your system against many malwares. Spyware Blaster

The last software I think you should have is Spybot Search & Destroy. It has two main purposes. Like Spyware Blaster it immunizes against malware. It also scans and removes most bots and trojans.

Unless I am mistaken, you should have a significant boost in speed once you have run all of these programs. It should not be a one time event. Set you AV to update every day and then scan afterwards. Run the other programs every few days.

Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by efc; May 14th, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

OMG!!!!!!! I have EVERYONE of those Ant-virus software programs for my computer, each and every one of them. Even the Free AV pack. I have it all. Me thinks my hard drive is kinda full, I have 25 Gigs of free space left from 100, would that be doing it? I have even defragged.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    You shouldn't have that slow of response with any Athlon 64 processor running xp. My guess is that you are bogged down with adaware and maybe viruses.

Things to do. Make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date and scan your system. If you have Norton or Mcafee on your computer and you have not paid subscription fees it is not doing the job. If that is the case, download a free av package, remove your old av software, install the new and scan your system. AVG Free is available here.

Next get a adaware scanner and scan your system. AdAware by Lavasoft

The next item is designed to immunize your system against many malwares. Spyware Blaster

The last software I think you should have is Spybot Search & Destroy. It has two main purposes. Like Spyware Blaster it immunizes against malware. It also scans and removes most bots and trojans.

Unless I am mistaken, you should have a significant boost in speed once you have run all of these programs. It should not be a one time event. Set you AV to update every day and then scan afterwards. Run the other programs every few days.

Let us know what happens.
    Roses are red
    Violets are bigger
    Even though I am anonymous
    They still call me a.........well you know the rest

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    A hard drive that is filling up could be a cause of slowdown and also too many temp/junk files could bog down your system. Also try CC Cleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Drives are cheap these days. You can buy 160GB for under $50.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried to go into run>>msconfig and see what apps are starting at boot up. I find that to be close to the top of the list with performance issues along with what was previously posted.