Thread: Computer hangs up when exiting a game.

Computer hangs up when exiting a game.

hello

ive been playing some hellgate london lately and whenever i play it for a couple hours or better i go to exit the game, and my computer hangs like crazy. it takes well over a minute to access anything. my gadgets on the side will reload, the taskbar will not pop up, the computer just crawls to almost a stop while its dumping the ram used for the game.

is this normal? i just upgraded my computer and it still does this, same thing happened before i upgraded.

any ideas?

my specs are:

windows vista home premium
    asus p5k motherboard
    intel q6600 quad core processor.
    2GB 1066 gskill ram
    7600GT geforce GPU

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    most likely your PC is out of RAM. I have hellgate London but I have not installed it yet. Most new games I have run use a lot of RAM.
    2 GB of RAM for Vista is a little short as well. Open task manager before going to the game and check the RAM usage (and CPU usage) and then check it again when you leave the game. If you have a dual monitor setup you can have the task manager opened in the second monitor.
    You can also use the performance mmc to check the RAM counters

hmm. would it take so long to get the ram back though?

when i do run the game, i am down to about 300MB of ram...thats with a bunch of stuff running like world community grid, and a few others.

maybe ill try with nothing running once...

so..ram..hmm..another 2GB maybe by christmas, sheesh. that hurts da budget king, lol.

thanks for the advice.

RAM prices have really dropped a lot. For 85 you can get 2 GB of RAM gamer quality DDR-2 for desktop.
    It can take a while to switch from the game to the OS when you are out of RAM. I still use XP, to avoid the RAM problems

yeah, ram is definitely cheap. but i just upgraded and will a have to deal with 2GB for a little while longer, no biggie. tryin to save for some home remodeling, so my computer fund is a little limited.

yeah, i debated going back to XP, but ive only had to contend with minor problems so far, unlike some ive heard. so i consider myself fairly lucky.

thx again for your insight.

If you are OK with Vista is the way to go. After all, XP will be out of support in a year, and it is easier to migrate with time. I also have 2 GB because I am saving to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU, but Crysis uses 900MB, so I have a similar effect when I exit the same. Probably not as accented as you described.
    Is Hellgate a good game? I have been tempted to install it, but i have so many games I want to finish that it is just pilling dust in my room

Smile

lol yeah, i understand about having too many games, my mind wanders a lot when it comes to games and i find myself not finishing one game to try another.

i come back to games a lot after not playing them awhile though. like hellgate.

i like it, but for me, it's more of a short entertainment value. kinda like diablo II was. after you finish the game, its pretty much all about finding better equipment via loot runs. or trying harder difficulty levels. grouping isnt really a focus for me. i like to go in, lay down a steady stream of carnage for a couple hours then be done.

but there are of course fanboys and such that cant get enough, but arent there always

I prefer short runs as well. That is why I play guild Wars, because I don't need to look for a party, and I can log in and log out whenever I want