Thread: Website building software

Website building questions.....

Which website software (if any) do you recommend/use to create a site? I'm new to creating websites and scrolling thru the threads in this forum, it appears many of you are writing your own scripts. Aside from what most hosting sites offer, I'd like to implement my own 'touch'.

Heard of Dreamweaver, but am yet to use it. Guess I'll go to their site and have a look.

Other than space, what other limitations come with free hosting sites?

I also read a thread concerning issues with GoDaddy. Is this the norm with the majority of the hosting sites? Are they really guilty of false advertising just to get your business?

So many questions....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

FBM357

P.S. If it helps, I'm creating a website for my wife as a point to promote her business (people are asking for a website when given a bus. card) .. Nothing too extravagant
    Last edited by FBM357; August 29th, 2008 at 16:24 PM.
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

It all depends on what kind of website you want to build. The more in depth the website is, the more skills you need. Basic websites, you might wanna look for WYSIWYG editors, for they are the most simple to do web work with. If your getting into flash, that takes a bit of time to learn. There are programs like INCREDIFLash that will put a nifty site together for you, with a few fill in the blanks.

You can also find scriptlets (aka shopping cart) which you can incorperate into your website. Though then you need a database and stuff for them to work, so they can be a pain in the rear.

Though if your new, you should probably just go with an online generator, and let it create the layout of your page. Then once its setup, you can go in and edit it to give it your so called personal tough.

Or the other thing you can do is get a template for a website. There are literally 1000's of em. Ya can find em free if ya look where you shouldn't be looking. http://www.templatemonster.com/ecommerce-templates.php
    as an example of legit ones. You can also get templates for flash.

Though most high quality website are programmed by a team of people, not just 1 person.

It just depends on what you want to do.

Thraxed, thanks for your help. As I stated, nothing extravagant. Something with appeal but not overboard. Emphasis placed on uploaded pictures, guestbook and basic FYI stuff.

I'll look into WYSIWYG. I'm sure to be getting into the other progs. you mentioned

Thanks again,

FBM357

I Been using Dreamweaver for years now and find it to be one of the best i have used as its very good especially for doing your own coding on more advanced sites since you can group lines of code together and it's color based.

I have tryed Microsoft Frontpage before but i never liked it for some reason.As far as Flash goes theres a little program out there called SwishMAX which is great if your just learning flash.I use it and Macromedia Flash.

If you just want a basic site you can use online editors and site builders but in my opinion you would be better of going with Dreamweaver just in case you wish to get more advanced down the line.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thraxed View Post
    It all depends on what kind of website you want to build. The more in depth the website is, the more skills you need. Basic websites, you might wanna look for WYSIWYG editors, for they are the most simple to do web work with. If your getting into flash, that takes a bit of time to learn. There are programs like INCREDIFLash that will put a nifty site together for you, with a few fill in the blanks.

You can also find scriptlets (aka shopping cart) which you can incorperate into your website. Though then you need a database and stuff for them to work, so they can be a pain in the rear.

Though if your new, you should probably just go with an online generator, and let it create the layout of your page. Then once its setup, you can go in and edit it to give it your so called personal tough.

Or the other thing you can do is get a template for a website. There are literally 1000's of em. Ya can find em free if ya look where you shouldn't be looking. http://www.templatemonster.com/ecommerce-templates.php
    as an example of legit ones. You can also get templates for flash.

Though most high quality website are programmed by a team of people, not just 1 person.

It just depends on what you want to do.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I d/l and played with WYSIWYG. Really impressed with the ease of use. Really nice. Will continue to use it (until I near the 30 day trial) and will probably purchase. Will look into PHP a little later (as time permits and skills develop) :P

FBM357

Also managed to get Dreamweaver CS3

Gonna take some time exploring (completed installation)

I love Dreamweaver for the CSS use. Clearly you need a basic know-how when using CSS in Dreamweaver but it speeds up things and it's very organized.