Thread: This page I get called About Blank

This page I get called About Blank

Why do I get it and what can I do to stop it from appearing?

It does not always appear but twice when it has appeared, the circumstances have been as follows. I am using XP and MSIE 6.x SP1.

I log onto the New York Times site re technology when they send me a notifying email--log on from the email. Up comes the sign-in page. I sign in, click on the article I want to read and I get this blank white page 'About.com'. I close it and behind it sits the article I wanted to read.

Just minutes ago I clicked on the link in an email-response I sent Techzonez about browser frames and up came the about blank page with your reply to my question underneath it.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi wumply:

i hate pop-ups

you might have installed something on your computer that will give you more pop-ups than are out there

here at techzonez we dont have pop-ups so i think some peice of spyware has hijacked your computer and brought you into there world of advertisements only you see

goto
    www.lavasoftusa.com

get the free program called ad-aware

scan your computer for spies and delete whatever is there

you dont want that stuff

reboot and let us know if you get any pop-ups here

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As Egghead said we don't have pop-ups here at Techzonez.

Follow his good advice and scan your machine with Ad-Aware.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Re "About Blank"

Egghead:

Yeah, I suspect you're right re AdAware which I've read about and will probably now get...though it seems weird that the page is empty, empty, empty. If it's advertising-related what's the point? Or do you think it might just be trying to ferret out and saving my browsing trail and habits and purchases, personal information, etc?

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    internet explorer has been hacked so bad by these companies

if its a balnk screen it could mean its a working worm hole or trojan or its just a flaw that explorer has patched with the update leaving the hackers with a useless webpage on our desktops

the ones to be really worried about are the ones on the taskbar that wont maximize no matter what you do

if you see those

right click on the page on the taskbar and selecty close

if you cant

press
    alt ctrl delete
    and terminate the page in task manager

i dont mean to scare anyone this halloween season

but everyone check your computers for bugs and viruses

these things will turn your computer into an ad server and you will be the host

spamming other people with ads located on a random directory on your harddrive

this will make your computer slow and cause you delays to most webpages

goodluck and let us know your fixes

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------