Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defrag recommendation

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    When I used XP's defragger, it took 2.5 hours. I used diskeeper and it defragged in about 2 minutes. It acted like it moved every file. It found fragmentation that XP's missed.
    The XP defrager is Diskeeper (modified Lite version ?)

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thraxed View Post
    If you want a good defrag program you should check out Ultimatedefrag, in my opinion its the best. Not only will it arrange everything at the beginning of the partition, you can order which folders/files to be placed at the beginning. For ultimate performance.

Check out the full details here: http://www.disktrix.com/UDDescription.htm
    I tried that once before on my dad's PC. It got slower after using it.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    The XP defrager is Diskeeper (modified Lite version ?)
    That is what I read, but there is some component missing because I used Diskeeper lite [free version] and it defraged in less than 2 minutes. There was a big difference.

- Have a nice day.

I am all for everyone finding the best software. It seams that people have been recommending their favorite defrag software here. I have a question. Did anyone try Smart Defrag which was the subject of this thread. If so, what were your impressions.

At this point, I don't think we have provided any service to our visitors. So let me ask one of our senior members to download and test Smart Defrag. If it doesn't live up to my hype, we can do the same for other software mentioned above. Then we can have some consensus in a recommendation.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I think I tried lo. I do not remember.

I tried perfect disk. I did not like it. I forget why.

I used Diskeeper lite which defraged some files during start up, which could not be moved while the PC is on. I loved it. They quit making the freeware version.

I like Auslogics, but it does not move files at start up.

I found the Vista defrag to be worse than XP's defrag. The reasons are above.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    I am all for everyone finding the best software. It seams that people have been recommending their favorite defrag software here. I have a question. Did anyone try Smart Defrag which was the subject of this thread. If so, what were your impressions.

At this point, I don't think we have provided any service to our visitors. So let me ask one of our senior members to download and test Smart Defrag. If it doesn't live up to my hype, we can do the same for other software mentioned above. Then we can have some consensus in a recommendation.
    Maybe I'm on your ignore list ?

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I ran SmartDefrag on a fully defraged HD (XP defrager) and SmartDefrag said no fragmented files, moved a couple files around and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    Maybe I'm on your ignore list ?
    Fastgame, you would never be on my ignore list. Even worse than putting you on an ignore list, I just ignored your post. Thanks for your effort.

Now do we need to take a closer look at other products?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    I also tried the Smart Defrag, almost identical results with the Defraggler.
    I guess you didn't see that I tried Smart Defrag too? Similar results with Defraggler but both of these products do not seem to have options for a system or boot defrag? For my home computer I'm sticking with Perfect Disk.

Can't speak on Defragger, but Smart Defrag has a couple ways to set it up. One is to start at boot for continuous defragmentation. Another is by schedule. In both cases you can choose which drives to process. I was surprised to see that it not only found all drives on my computer, it also found my network drives.