Thread: Microsoft will offer free antivirus product

Microsoft will offer free antivirus product

Microsoft will offer free antivirus product

Microsoft Corp. said it will offer free software to protect PCs from viruses, in a move that could pose new challenges for independent makers of security software. The Redmond, Wash., company said it plans to introduce its security software, code-named Morro, during the second half of next year in an effort to persuade more users to secure their PCs against spyware, viruses and other forms of “malware.” Use of antimalware software is far from universal, especially in emerging markets.

There are two primary reasons consumers supply for not protecting their PCs, including a concern that the anti-malware software will bog down their PCs, said Amy Barzdukas, senior director of product management for the online services and Windows division at Microsoft. The other reason is the cost of security software, which can run $75 for the programs plus two years of updates. Morro will replace another security software program Windows Live OneCare, a broader suite of software and services. Microsoft will discontinue retail sales of that software, which costs consumers $49.95 a year, on June 30 of next year. The shift to a free security offering from Microsoft could be a problem for Symantec Corp., McAfee Inc. and other independent security companies that charge consumers for their products
    Source: WSJ

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    Now, we know how Microsoft gives away free software. And then a greater and better version is added to the next operating system which one must pay through the nose to get.

I can hardly wait.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    So... does this mean that it will be bundled with Windows 7? or as an 'Ultimate Extra' for download?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    'Tain't in the beta. Until I hear very good news about this, I'm sticking with avast.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I'm running McAfee AV v8.7 (Enterprise Edition). It works well.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig