Thread: PS3 hardware question

PS3 hardware question

Has anyone tried to use an external blu_ray drive with the PS3?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    my first question would be "Why" when there is one onboard?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure what you're trying to get at Efc. Is your internal drive broken and you want to use external one to watch blu-ray/play games??

I dont think the PS3 is set up for HDMI pass through... also, unsure if there are USB drives for the Blu-ray drive... also, unsure if the standard or even jail-breaked O/S supports external Drives (have heard of USB keyboard/mouse working).

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Was trying to get info for my son. At the time he had a PS3 with a dead drive. I could buy a Blu-ray drive at the time for about $150. If it would work, that was a lot cheaper than buying a new PS3. My thought was to mount the drive in a Blu-ray capable enclosure w/usb output.

In researching this issue, I found that many people were asking the same question. So if anyone knows for sure, the answer may help someone else.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmm... interesting idea efc.... have you costed the option of getting a replacement internal PS3 drive?? surely there would be some repair places around?

Again, pretty unsure that an external drive would work.... then again, most games can be downloaded from the Playstation Network run off the internal harddrive.

goodluck, and keep us posted! I know piper would be interested

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    haven't turned on the PS3 in over a year.....lmao....the Wii is in the closet right next to my IMac....lmao....thought about selling all of them...the pc was my preference for gaming but I am losing interest in that as well. This latest build that I use is starting to head south and technology is moving well ahead of my wallet...lol...might be time to hang up my gaming gloves..lmao..the economy has killed my finances....lost my job...blah blah blah...so, not sure where the future will take me.