Thread: RIAA tells FCC: ISPs need to be copyright cops

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

RIAA tells FCC: ISPs need to be copyright cops

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission should avoid adopting strict net neutrality rules that would limit broadband providers' flexibly to "address" illegal online file sharing, the Recording Industry Association of America said in comments filed with the FCC on Thursday.

Internet service providers should have authority to block subscribers from sharing music and other files without permission of the copyright owner, the RIAA said. "ISPs are in a unique position to limit online theft," the RIAA said in its comments. "They control the facilities over which infringement takes place and are singularly positioned to address it at the source. Without ISP participation, it is extremely difficult to develop an effective prevention approach."

The FCC should not only avoid rules prohibiting ISPs from blocking illegal file trading, but it should actively encourage ISPs to do so, the RIAA said.

Full story: Computerworld

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    I like one ISP manager's response to such requests: he asks them where to send the bill. He has never heard back from them.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt