Thread: Windows 7's XP Mode No Longer Needs Hardware Virtualization

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

Windows 7's XP Mode No Longer Needs Hardware Virtualization

Windows 7's XP Mode No Longer Needs Hardware Virtualization

Windows XP's life span just got a little longer—and less complicated. Microsoft announced today that it is updating XP Mode in Windows 7 to no longer require the use of hardware virtualization technology.

XP Mode, which can run in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise, was intended for small and midsize businesses interested in upgrading to Windows 7 but not losing use of their legacy programs. But it was not always clear to some users which PCs could use it and which couldn't; many of Intel's lower-end and midrange processors did support virtualization, for example.

You can download the updated version of the software from Microsoft's Web site. If your PC does have hardware virtualization technology, such as Intel VT or AMD-V, XP Mode will still use it, and you won't need the update.

the 32-bit version is here:
    Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=837f12aa-1d37-464e-ae59-20c9ecbebaf6
    the 64-bit version is here:
    Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e70dd043-e262-43c0-a002-446567f1e2b4
    Source: ExtremeTech

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    This is good news. However I haven't found anything that does not work on 7 yet. We started using at work even

That's good to know because I was really concerned about this. I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 from XP yet because I've been worried that I wouldn't be able to run a lot of my old programs and I've been waiting to see what other users think of the operating system. I haven't heard anything too negative about it yet though so I guess I'll be upgrading soon.
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 4th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Any of you use Windows 7? What is so grand about it? Does it top Vista? If so, in what ways?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I use windows 7 both in my home PC, and work laptop, and it is good enough that I am building a desktop PC in 7 to replace my XP machine.
    Windows 7 uses hardware acelaration for the desktop. Vista was all CPU bound. that is what made XP faster.
    Also, IMHO it has a much, much improved memory management and program isolation than XP and Vista. Vista is good at isolating programs, but the memory management wasn't as good as 7.
    Overral it feels faster than XP and Vista, however once you start putting programs I think it is the same. It is not a must upgrade, but if you are looking to upgrade then there is absolutely no reason not to go with Windows 7. If I was given the option of XP or Vista, I chose XP, XP or 7 I chose 7.

Windows 7 is good - it is better than Vista in every way (as is a pen and some paper). I would imagine Vista is no more popular than Window Me was. There is one thing that improves it still further - the image resizer powertoy thingy that was part of XP - they make a clone for 7/Vista http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/51338. It even runs faster than Vista on same hardware so you can't really go wrong.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?