Thread: Microsoft warns against using 64-bit Office 2010

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

Microsoft warns against using 64-bit Office 2010

Microsoft warns against using 64-bit Office 2010

Microsoft is advising its customers to install the 32-bit, rather than the 64-bit, version of Office 2010.

The advice is tucked away in an FAQ about the Office 2010 Tech Guarantee program, which will ensure that buyers of Office 2007 will get a free upgrade to the new Office suite when its launched.

From the FAQ:

Will a 64-bit version of the Office 2010 product be available?

Yes, 64-bit Office 2010 product upgrades will be available. However we strongly recommend most users install 32-bit version of Office 2010 on both 32 and 64-bit Operating Systems because currently many common add-ins for Office will not function in the 64-bit edition. The 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office 2010 products will be available for users who commonly use very large documents or data set and need Excel 2010 programs to access greater than 2GB of memory. There may be technical issues with the 64-bit version and in order to install a 64-bit version of Office 2010 product users must have a 64-bit supported operating system on their PC.

"We strongly recommend most users install 32-bit version of Office 2010 on both 32 and 64-bit operating systems because currently many common add-ins for Office will not function in the 64-bit edition," Microsoft warns.

"The 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office 2010 products will be available for users who commonly use very large documents or data sets and need Excel 2010 programs to access greater than 2GB of memory.

"There may be technical issues with the 64-bit version and in order to install a 64-bit version of Office 2010 product users must have a 64-bit supported operating system on their PC," Microsoft adds.

Even some of Microsoft's own Office plug-ins are not yet compatible with the 64-bit software, including the Outlook Social Connector, which hooks the software into social networks such as Facebook. Third party plug-ins from LinkedIn and Symantec are also 32-bit only.

Source : PCPro

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Excel for more than 2 GB is something that I would use, mainly for databases information. But then agian..I might just stay with 32 bit then.
    I really like Office 2010. Outlook works extremely well with my large exchange inbox, and it was so easy to configure from home, without needed to connect on VPN first like in old versions