Thread: Office 2010 RTM released

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

Office 2010 RTM released

While you won't be seeing it on retail shelves just yet, Microsoft has flicked the Office 2010 switch on MSDN and Technet. This morning, the beta version was finally replaced with the RTM and both 32 and 64-bit downloads are now available.

I just installed the 32bit Pro Plus on my work lappy. I'll come back in a week and let you know how I like the RTM. My company was a beta tester for microsoft so I've been playing around with the beta for awhile and it was pretty buggy I thought.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/04...net-msdn-subs/

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How was it phish? Worth the install or crap? Has the interface changed a lot? I stopped using Office after 2007 and started using OpenOffice exclusively! Been quite happy but I am always open to trying something from Microsoft.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Any Updates Phish? Much of an improvement of Office2007? While our workplace is stuck on O2k3 due to outdated SOE, I find 2007 so much easier to get around and do more complex document/excel writing.

I thought 2010 was going to be a web-only product?? let us know how you go.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

well still learning to get around the UI. but so far I think I like 2k7. 2010 seems pretty slow. I personally think some of the ribbons are annoying. I havent used alot of the online collaboration services, or sharepoint integration. I do dig in Outlook OWA (we also went to 2010 exchange) that you can use the OCS communication client. So you can IM from OWA. and on smartphones it will read your email for you. It will push your voicemails to your phones too. I will update this again once I get use to the functionality and can give a proper review.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    well still learning to get around the UI. but so far I think I like 2k7. 2010 seems pretty slow. I personally think some of the ribbons are annoying. I havent used alot of the online collaboration services, or sharepoint integration. I do dig in Outlook OWA (we also went to 2010 exchange) that you can use the OCS communication client. So you can IM from OWA. and on smartphones it will read your email for you. It will push your voicemails to your phones too. I will update this again once I get use to the functionality and can give a proper review.
    What is the most significant change to the UI? I mean from 2003 to 2007 was quite a bit of a change but most of the stuff I could suss out over time. Is 2010 that much of a change and will it put off new users enough to make them go back to 2007?

I am looking forward to your update.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    2010 is a lot like 2007. The exception is Outlook that gained the ribbon too (in 2007 Outlook was the only app without the ribbon).
    I have been using 2010 for about 6 months, and actually I think is MS best Office product ever. And that is a lot to say, since I also use open office on my work laptop.
    About being slow, I would not know, since I am running the beta at home. It crashed only once, and my work email was configured from home without direct access to AD, which is a super big plus. I like the interface of Outlook so much, that I don't read much of my email at work, but I do at home. It takes me 10 minutes to go thru my email, compared to an hour at work.
    The default view is by date by conversation, but it integrates with windows search so well, that it can list the emails from other folders.
    Again, I am running office 2010 at home with Windows 7. It seems to be develop for that OS, and i seriously doubt I would install 2010 in a PC not running 7. Since all machine that run Windows 7 also I consider that they should have not less than 2 year old hardware, office should run fine. I will install the technet RTM on my laptop this week and I will compare it with my desktop, but I already feel that my laptop is slow compared to my desktop (and the laptop has a Dual Core 2 Duo T6600).
    The changes in the rest of the products are some polish on the interface, and a lot of internal changes. I think that overall the xml engine works better in 2010 than in 2007. I don't know if it is more compatible with other suites like OpenOffice though

here is some good screenshots of the UI. http://www.cravingtech.com/microsoft...pressions.html
    For a new user I think the new office will be more user friendly, now for the die hard office users, they will be pretty frustrated until they know where everything went.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    here is some good screenshots of the UI. http://www.cravingtech.com/microsoft...pressions.html
    For a new user I think the new office will be more user friendly, now for the die hard office users, they will be pretty frustrated until they know where everything went.
    I think it looks damn skippy and if I were using a fast PC and the modern 7 OS, then I'd be up for Office 2010. It looks good. But I am sure it'd make an old P4 moan and groan like an old man with a bad bout of diarrhea!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    BB, yeahh, I would not even recommend 2007 for a P4.
    I put 2010 in a Semprom 2.2 Ghz PC with Win 7. It actually ran OK, but only Outlook was opened. I can test it in 15 minutes (we have a meeting using that PC) using more stuff on it, but definetively the transparencies in the interface are not light. I wonder how it runs on Xp thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    BB, yeahh, I would not even recommend 2007 for a P4.
    I put 2010 in a Semprom 2.2 Ghz PC with Win 7. It actually ran OK, but only Outlook was opened. I can test it in 15 minutes (we have a meeting using that PC) using more stuff on it, but definetively the transparencies in the interface are not light. I wonder how it runs on Xp thought.
    I use open office 3.2 and am completely satisfied with it. It opens almost all documents I need, works well with Ubuntu and is a solid office suite. But I am always interested in the latest from MS.. even though many people don't like MS, a lot use it so it's good to see what they have in the future of office suites.