Thread: Power Line Networking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Power Line Networking

I have been using this to network my PC to my XBox and just wonder if there's any security risks to doing that... I mean is it possible for someone to get on my network because I run it open and without any kind of firewall or anything like that.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    they will have to get a power line access point, and they will have to be within range.
    However, it would be easy to watch using the router's DHCP. You could check if there are any clients that you do not recognize.
    Also, it has been a while since I researched EoP but I think the filter at the meter would stop the signal from going out. So as security Power Line networking is pretty good, because you need the adapter, and you need physical access to the power. At that point it would be like someone trying to steal your electricity

Here is an article by Fred Langa that supports Dechbad25. He states that network traffic cannot pass through a transformer without changing it.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...icleID=6500241
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Thanks gents! That's exactly what I was looking for. I personally recommend power line networking! it rocks and is incredibly easy to set up! I'd like to do my whole house like that but the adapters are expensive!