Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: record video at twice + speed ?

record video at twice + speed ?

hi guys.
    here's a question for you.

i recently recorded some video for work.
    we made a 2200mm dia football out of 20 hexagonal and 12 pentagonal panels in polycarbonate.
    the whole thing took about 3 hours to assemble but,
    i want to edit it and also speed it up so that anyone watching it,won't have to sit through 2-3 hours worth of video.

so,my question......
    what software can i use to re-record the video at a faster speed?

TIA,
    harry.

*Edit*
    P.S,
    i'm not bothered about the audio,as i will be adding some form of music to it.
    Last edited by harrytb; April 30th, 2010 at 15:17 PM.

ill be back soon,
    just watching some paint dry.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    With Blender
    http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

You can do this exact thing as well as slow it down.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...uencer/Effects

Speed Control Built-in Effect

Speed Control time-warps the strip, making it play faster or slower than it normally would. A Global Speed less than 1.0 makes the strip play slower; greater than 1.0 makes it play faster. Playing faster means that some frames are skipped, and the strip will run out of frames before the end frame. When the strip runs out of frames to display, it will just keep repeating the last one; action will appear to freeze. To avoid this, position the next strip under the original at a point where you want motion to continue.
    [edit] Using Speed for a Slow-Motion Effect
    50% Slow motion using Speed Control

Suppose you want to sssslooow your strip dowwwwwwn. You need to affect the speed of the video clip without affecting the overall frame rate. Select the clip and Add->Effect->Speed Control effect strip. Click to drop it and press N to get the Properties. Set the Global Speed to be the factor by which you want to adjust the speed. To cut the displayed speed by 50%, enter 0.50. Now, a 30-frame clip will play at half speed, and thus display only the first 15 frames.

If you want the remaining frames to show in slo-mo after the first set is displayed, Kcut the strip in two, offset the second part (because the first slow-mo will actually run for more time/frames than shown), and add another Speed control as shown to the right. When the strip on Channel 1, as modified by the sfx strip on Channel 3 finishes, the strip selected on channel 2 starts, as modified by its sfx speed control in channel 3. The trick in creating the second strip is to

* Select the original strip and ⇧ ShiftDuplicate it. In this case, it is a 20-frame image set.
    * Drag the clone to half-way above the original and drop it.
    * Select the left handle (start), grab it, and move it over half-way. This changes the start frame offset; the strip will now start playing at frame 11 (relative to within itself)
    * Select the right handle (end), grab it and move it over half-again as much (in this case, 10 frames) This sets the duration to be 20 frames within your video.
    * Add a 50% Speed Control for the first strip, and a 100% speed control for the second. For the second strip, you are already telling blender to play 10 frames over a 20-frame duration, which is already half speed, so you don't need the speed control to slow it down anymore, just to scale the frames selected to the duration of the clip.

That's it! Set your render to animate (in this example) all 40 frames.

Why not just extend the original clip out, you ask? Well, the Speed Control operates based on the number of frames it is going to show, divided by the number of frames it has to show them over. For example, if a strip has 20 frames in it, and you specify a speed factor of 50%, it knows it has to display 10 frames. If that strip is, say, stretched to cover 30 frames of video, it will play each of the 10 frames for 3 frames (3 x 10=30). Understanding the math will help you be effective and get the control to do what you want it to.

In very simple cases it will also work to just extend the original clip. This is a very nice feature intended for story boarding and for filling gaps. Add a speed control, ignore the IPOs and all the other parameters and just extend the right handle of the original clip. Remember that this is only possible, if the underlying clip ends at the right handle position. (If this isn't the case because you used the knife tool to create it, add a meta for the original clip first.).
    [edit] Using speed control for frame matching

To get even finer control over your clip timing, you can use IPOs! This can be done in several ways.

* In the default configuration, your IPO curve simply map input to output frame scaled down to the range of [0-100] [0-1] in IPO curve coordinates. This is enough, if you want to add simple flickering effects.

The speed effect can do even more for you. You can do actual frame matching! That means: you have a certain position at which a certain frame should get displayed (maybe when matching your video track to an audio track) and blender will adjust the speed of the clip smoothly to make this happen.

* You can disable scaling in X direction by clicking on "IPO-frame locking". That means: input frame numbers are identical to IPO curve X-coordinates.
    * You can disable scaling in Y direction by disabling "Scaling [0-1]". That means: output frame numbers are identical to the IPO curve Y-coordinates.

After that, use the N-keys window fo the IPO-window to place your control points in a frame exact way.

many thanks for that informative reply BB.

while i was waiting for a reply,
    i tried windows movie maker.
    it did exactly what i asked of it and more.

the original video was about 2 hours long.
    with WMM,i got it down to just under 2 mins.

for anyone interested........

thanks again BB,

harry.

ill be back soon,

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Another option is to use the software that came with the camcorder.

Most of the bundled software's should have fairly good editing options.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

believe it or not,
    the video was shot with my old nokia n95 mobile fone.
    great little fone for vids.

ill be back soon,

Well Harry I am glad you got it sorted and it worked. Nice job and who would have thought Windows Movie Maker would be sufficient enough to do what you needed done.

i know !!

i just thought i'd have a mess about until something else came along but,
    lo and behold !!!
    WMM,to the rescue.

thanks again though BB.

ill be back soon,

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well done harry, looks great... what was the project for??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

many thanks cash.
    the ball was for a customer for a world cup 2010 promo.
    it had to be made in sections that bolted together so it could be transported easily.

the reason for videoing it was so that i could put it on my companys facebook page that i created for them (we are a plastic fabrication company btw).

ill be back soon,

Wow, well done Harry, I'm the Plastic industry must be booming in making many new soccer balls for FIFA

Finally, are you in that video?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

we have a few ongoing projects regarding the world cup but,
    not as exciting as the large football.

and yes,i'm in the vid.
    i'm the guy passing the panels to the two guys inside.

footnote,
    just as all the panels were put in place,
    one of the two guys inside the ball thought it would be funny to break wind !!
    the other guy inside was'nt too impressed

ill be back soon,

Quote Originally Posted by harrytb View Post
    we have a few ongoing projects regarding the world cup but,
    not as exciting as the large football.

and yes,i'm in the vid.
    i'm the guy passing the panels to the two guys inside.

footnote,
    just as all the panels were put in place,
    one of the two guys inside the ball thought it would be funny to break wind !!
    the other guy inside was'nt too impressed
    the farty guy seems like a chip off the old block. I'm sure his friend was gassed to smell it.. Is the farter a smelly type of fart maker or less smelly?

the farty guy seems like a chip off the old block. I'm sure his friend was gassed to smell it.. Is the farter a smelly type of fart maker or less smelly?
    believe you and me,he's the smelly type!

ill be back soon,

Haha, that's some good insight for the video - like "behind" the scenes footage

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

maybe when i have time,i might search the footage for the said incident lol.

ill be back soon,