Thread: Text runs beyond right margin...

Text runs beyond right margin...

[MS WinXP Home 2002 - SP3; OE 6; IE 8; MS Office Pro; Avast Antivir Free; Dell Dimension XPS T448MHz Pentium III; 640 MB RAM; high speed cable; Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex..]

Hello, a week ago I installed Windows SP3 update and also upgraded my IE6 to IE8.

Problem: since then, the text in Internet and in some emails runs beyond the right margin. I like IE8's large and dark text, but I thought I better reduce the text to see if it helped - it didn't. I then reduced the text to a tiny print, and still spilled over the right margin. I can't handle the small print though. Will appreciate a lot any suggestion.

Thank you so much! Adela

You need to change graphics resolution. It is easy to do in xp. Position your cursor on a blank spot on your desktop then right-click. Now choose properties then settings. Using the slide bar, change setting to 1024 x 768. or higher. You will have a short period to accept or reject the new setting. The higher the resolution setting results with smaller font size, therefore more of the page will fit on the screen.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hi efc and thnaks for showing me how easy it is to change the graphics resolution to 1024 which I did, but, this made all text, icons, etc. too tiny for Thank you Steve, the text running beyond the right margin happens only on the monitor. This phenomenon I observed to happen right after I upgraded to IE8, but, since I also upgraded to SP3 at the same time, I don't know which of the 2 are the cause.

I also noticed that, while my old computer was slower before, after the above 2 changes it became impossibly slower...But I guess I better take these problems one at a time?

Thanks again! Adela

I am currently experiencing slow load times at TZ. Hopefully that is the reason for the for your slow-down because it should be fixed shortly.

Now for the small Icons and fonts. Once again right-click on the desktop then choose "Appearance" and then choose "Advanced". Now click on the down arrow in the "Item" input space. Looking down the list choose "Icon". You will see an input area for size. Try increasing the size to "45" and then click "OK". You may have to try several different settings before you find the size you want. You may also have to adjust icon spacing to properly position icons.

For fonts, go back one screen and change "Font size" to "Large Fonts".
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thank you efc, but as to the slower computer, I meant it in my own emails and whenever I go to the Internet and, as mentioned, my computer is .old so it's not surprising to me - what is surprising is that it became much slower after installing SP3 and IE8. :-)

(I seem to have messed up my previous answer, I'm sorry).

I went to Properties/Advanced, etc. and was able to change the icons and fonts, just as you said. I learned now another secret corner of the computer thanks to you which I didnt know it existed. lol!

Thanks so very much! Adela